Nerve pain and numbness after knee Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a runner . I had knee surgery on my knee for a torn inner meniscus .Ever since below my knee cap area straigt below and on both sides are now numb running down about 10 inches .And some times the crease bin the back of my knee when you bend your leg burns all the time and hurts now going up and down steps .I think the doctor hit a nerve during surgery .I did not have this problem before surgery ?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Could it be nerves going back to normal after being moved around from knee surgery? I know from arm surgery it took awhile for things to get back in place from being moved around so they could do what was needed. Just a thought. May have nothing to do with it although. Hope you find an answer better than mine.
    • Posted

How long ago was surgery? I have numbness & nerve pain thou I have had a lot of surgery. If surgery was quite recent it should calm down and return to normal. Have you had your post operation check up yet, mention it when you do. If its past the post operation check up then its worth going to your GP. If you were given exercises or any other advice its important to do whatever the surgeon advised. I hope it improves for you with time.
    • Posted

I would go back to your GP to check again. It maybe that at your post op check that it was normal to still get some problems. It will put your mind at rest or if it is something that needs medication or keeping an eye on.
  • Posted

Hire an attorney. This sounds like malpractice! The numbness should disipate over time but you should go to another doc ASAP.
  • Posted

It definitely sounds like a nerve was injured during surgery, I would bring this to the surgeon's attention and see if there is anything they can do. While the nerve should heal on its own, it may take several months to several years and you may want to get the doc involved to make sure it grows back properly or get meds to aid its growth.

Look up "dermatome". A dermatome is a map that shows the sensory nerves of the body and where they come off of the spinal cord. Each dermatome area has one nerve that supplies sensory information like pain, temperature, ect, and they can go numb when the nerve is cut or injured. The area you described looks like it would be dermatome L4 or L5 that was damaged. Check a dermatome map and if one of those two areas seems like a good fit for the symptoms you are experiencing, I think you may have your answer smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.