Nerve pain at night

Posted , 10 users are following.

Does anyone else have a hard time sleeping at night because of the nerve pain,it seems like it gets worse when I go to bed.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes brutal at night, that first week I was up all night tossing and turning in such pain. I thought I pulled my back out but then the rash surfaced, went to drs and was diagnosed. The majority of pain did let up after I completed the course of the zovirax but I continued with the Motrin or any other type of anti-inflammatory I had on hand which helped. I had it on my hip and still suffer from some swelling in that area but the pain has definitely subsided. I was diagnosed in early February so it's about 90 days/ 3 months now. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Woody. Yes, same here. The night time is the worst. The Amitriptyline taken at night has helped me alot but another simple and non-narcotic solution I have been using for two years now is (crazy as it sounds) a Homedics massager, on LOW setting, laying ON the bed, NOT against your skin or touching you at all, while you sleep. The soft vibration seems to ease the itching/pain sensation. It works for me and it has worked for some other people i've talked to but not for everyone. I found out about it while I was in the hospital. Just make sure it's laying next to you and NOT making ANY contact at all, especially near your outbreak area. Good luck, friend

• Posted

I went through a phase where laying ON my "bad side" (head) almost turned off the pain completely.  I had to wiggle my head "just right" before I found the spot and then didn't move.  It was a godsend but the phase didn't last more than a week or two and then the pain was back 24/7.

• Posted

Hi Woodys,

Night time is the worst for any type of pain, especially Neurogenic and orthopedic. You have probably read the shingles forum on the suggestions.

Has your physician prescribed anything for you? If not, I strongly recommend you see him and get a prescription. You didn't state how far along in the process you are or where the pain is or what you are doing thus far.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Its been almost 5 weeks and my Doctor has prescribed Pain medicine and Gabapentin and today she up the dose It is getting better but I get up early for work and haven't been able to get there.

• Posted

Woodys,

I am glad your Physician titrated the gabapentin dosage upward.

You might try a cream with Lidocaine, the highest percentage, to place topically over the painful area to help numb the nerve endings.

I use Benzocaine ear drops in addition to an Opioid and Topiramate (similar to Gabapentin) for my recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles every 3-5 weeks for the past 21 years. I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

Ice or cool compresses also soothe the pain. Heat worsens the pain.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes..I am up several times with ice packs and pacing the floor. Takes me an hour or more to get back to sleep...so very sorry you are suffering. I try to listen to tranquil music and meditate...I sleep during the day when I can...God help us please🛐

• Posted

This is a terrible common problem,

i cant recommend sleeping meds being addicted to them myself

what about ice packs, teas, melatonin

when i Hadith in the beginning in 2012 I couldn’t sleep for days on end because of the pain

i hate to recommend opoidd n

but you will get relief

• Posted

Will avoid opioids...too many friends at our age in trouble with side effects etc.Try many safer options for now, thank you
  • Posted

Can’t add anything everyone has given good advice. My doctor recommended the new vaccine for SHINGEX once your symptoms have cleared. It has help me and lessoned the drgree of symptoms and strength of nerve pain as well as lessoned the time of breakouts yearly.
  • Posted

Hi can you describe to me the nerve pain as i read about everyone having it but im not sure if its what i have which is burning skin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.