Nerve pain from left hip to thigh.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Some insight would be highly appreciated here as this pain really drove me into some dark places in my head.

For almost seven weeks now, I've had this tingling in my left hip that goes to my knee and outer buttocks. Occasionally, it would go into my groin but not often.

I generally do not have much pain laying down or after sleeping (also wear loose clothing to bed as most of us do). It's generally aggrivated by sitting for long periods (generally with a belt on of sorts) or with rigorous exercise. General pain meds seem to really not do a whole lot. Unfortunately, really only more powerful things like alcohol intake and Xanax have really done the trick to take the pain away.

Thoughts?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would not advise taking alcohol because that in oteself can cause or exacrbate peripheral neuropathy I do not wish to tell you what to do but please google the incidences of alcohol related neuropathy.
    • Posted

I will see my doctor in a couple of weeks. When I first mentioned it to him, he said it was Meralgia Paresthetica. I know this can take some time to heal if this occurs. It's just hard to deal with.
  • Posted

Have you been to your doctor about your symptoms?  The symptoms seem familiar to mine when I first had my problem.  I would certainly go to see the doctor as your symptoms will at least be recorded on your records.  

The neuropathic pain is a very painful and uncomfortable condition.  Mine is on my right side but I don't know if it is also affecting other people on their left side.

i have had my chronic pain for years.  It is only now I might be on the road to having an operation?   I have at last got an appointment for a MRI scan next week then I have to wait to see the Orthopaedic surgeon.  Fingers crossed I might have an operation on my spine before Christmas?  Fingers crossed.

i wish you good luck and hopefully you will have some answers soon.

• Posted

Yes, I have. As I said above, he asked where the pain was, and I said it radiated from my hip to my thigh. Hence, he thought it was Meralgia Paresthetica. There's some good and bad to that:

Generally it can be healed with conservative methods. The bad part is it can take time, and I'm very impatient (also a hypochondriac, so that doesn't help). It's just hard not to let it interfere with my life. Ibuprofen and such does not help that much. I live in the USA, so if I needed surgery, it wouldn't take me too long to get it. 

• Posted

I was having some ear pain recently (mild ear infection most likely with fluid built-up after visiting CareNow when they looked in). So he gave me a cortisone steroid shot. And I swear, my hip/thing haven't felt this good since the pain began. This makes me believe there is something swolen (perhaps from my previous surgery in December) that has been pressing on a nerve. Ahhh today is a good day without pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.