Nerve pain in arm, inconclusive

Posted , 4 users are following.

So my mother (aged 43 if that helps) has recently come down with arm pain between her shoulder and elbow. This began overnight and she has since had no relief from it for the past few weeks. She has seen the doctor quite a few times, been prescribed codeine, paracetamol and another more advanced prescription for nerve pain, to no avail. She has also seen a physiotherapist and been massaged multiple times. Nothing seems to be working, she has also had a CT scan with nothing showing.

I’m unsure what to do next in order to find out what is causing all of this? My gut feeling is that it could be a tumour of some form possibly hitting a nerve? She has lost no mobility, however it is constantly painful for her whether she is moving it or not; with fluctuations of course.

And help or advice would be much appreciated!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Following thread. I have had the same sort of pain since March 2018 and no let up. If a tumour was responsible, the CT Scan would have picked it up so that is reassuring. It could be a pinched nerve or frozen shoulder. Would be interested to hear what is diagnosed.
  • Posted

Was she on any medications for anything else prior to her pain starting? Has she injured her arm?  Both my arms have neuropathic injuries and the only thing that helps is hot weather.
  • Posted

Hi, I think you should take her to a neurologist that can do a nerve conduction test. This test can pinpoint if the trouble is connected to the spin and where the pain is coming from. Also, pain management facilities might have more knowledge as to what it could be and how to proceed. Pain is no picnic, I deal with chronic pain and it changes your lifestyle for sure. Keep fighting for your moms health, you are a kind and loving daughter and I applaud you. My best wishes are with you both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.