Nerve pain in both arms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I’m a t1 diabetic for 40 years and I’ve recently had surgery for frozen shoulder. Since the surgery I’ve had  severe nerve pain in both arms, going down into my wrists. It is absolutely horrendous. I’m on lyrica but it seems as though it’s doing nothing. 

The surgeon says it’s not related to anything he did. (Yeah right) As yet I have no diagnosis, diabetic neuropathy maybe? It’s driving me nuts, I can’t work because my hands are so sore I can barely pick anything up. 

Help!! Any ideas suggestions. 

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Diabetic neuropathy is a possibility.  However, since the symptoms began after surgery, it is very likely that nerves got disturbed.  Surgery can cause these complications and doctors often pretend they don’t happen. I got neuropathy from a simple blood test because it was done by someone who didn’t know what she was doing.
  • Posted

Nuropathic pain is likely because of the surgery. I have had many operations on my knees and have Nuropathic pain for years in my left leg. I then had surgery on my right knee last year and Nuropathic pain now in the right leg. I am precribed Pregabilin which helps a little. I have read that drugs prescribed for Nuropathic pain can cause more pain. I don't know the answer, Nuropathic pain is not curable, we have to manage it. 

If i was you i would speak to your Consultant. Also you being diabetic you are prone to Nuropathic pain. It does sound like you haveit really bad at the moment, i hope you can find something to help. I was previously on Gaberpentin which is similar to Pregabilin, unfortunately all thes type of drugs come with many side effects. Different drugs suit everybody differently. I have great sympathy for you and hope it settles for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.