nerve root block

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi

can someone tell me what the nerve root block entails

ive waited ages for appointment to see consultant and this pooped through the door with no explanation or anything

contacted hospital to see why they sent it without actually seeing anyone and they didnt seem to know anything person dealing with my consultants appointments away until monday

what are mess more worry with no answers

best wishes to you all im totally fed up with pain and getting deppressed more and more hope you are all coping better than me

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

:D Hi Oscar, Im also waiting for a nerve root block having it done on nov 12th, It is basiclly like an epidural which a woman has in childbirth and injection in the spine. I belive it contains steroids and anthetic [ spelling?? ] It is x-ray guided, takes about 10 minutes and according to my consultant is amazingly good if you suffer leg pain due to a disc but is not successful for back pain. As I understand the result is immedate and it has to be re- done every 6 months. Hope that has helped you, Obviously if you get it done b 4 me or if you have recently had it done since this posting, You let me know. Good luck. Kelly
  • Posted

Hi Oscar

What kelly told you is basically correct. The procedure doesn't take very long and is X-Ray guided and fairly painless. However not sure that everyone requires the nerve block to be repeated every 6 months. I am a 70 year old active sports person and I had a severely prolapsed high lumbar disc which gave me all sorts of leg, hip and upper leg problems. Had the nerve block epidural injections about 18 months ago and relief from the pain was immediate and hasn't returned even though I have since run and cycled in many sporting competitions and haven't had any more injections. I think that to some extent success depends on the luck of the draw but the injections are nothing to fear. Good Luck hope it works for you.

• Posted

hi all

I had a nerve root block on the 18th 0ct (so only a few days ago) as i got a slip disc and its on a nerve causing pain in my right leg. iam on 18 tablets a day and they are just not working. my doctor wanted me to have an op to take the disc out but i said i will try the nerve root block first, well iam sorry to say i am still in a lot of pain and got to go back to the doctors on monday. Good luck to u all hope it works for u.[/i]

• Posted

Hi, had two nerve root injections, one December last year then the next Feb this year, they take seconds, are near enough painless, feel a slight pinch if that as it is numb before they do it and my understanding was if u ever need more than two then not worth getting a third and only allowed three in any one year but not necessarily will need all three.

The two I had worked for a while but I had op three weeks ago to relieve sciatic pain as it did get worse.

Hope this helps and good luck with it all :-)

Russ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.