Nerve treatment with Amitriptyline - odd side effect

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m suffering from stenosis; nerve compression in the neck area affecting my left shoulder/fingers. Been doing stretching and exercises with mixed results. Told doc I was having increasing discomfort recently do he prescribed 10-20 Amitryptyline mg a day.

First night on 10mg Amitriptyline was drowsy and slept well. 2nd night took 20mg. No sleep at all! Up all night with burning nerve sensation down left arm.

On the plus side it is definitely targeting the problem nerve.

Anyone heard of this reaction? I’m going to try 10mg tonight and hope it is ok?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi John, I've been on 50mg some 6 yrs

now, I'm a right leg amputee,,, unfortunately after some 11 ops,, I got Neuromas at the side and bottom of my stump,, which have left me with chronic nerve pain,,, I know some people k ock them because of side affects and can understand that, but to me they have helped,, mixed with many other painkillers,,, your symptoms are not unusual,, in my opinion,,, good luck keep going,,,

• Posted

Hi John,

I am taking it for anxiety, but my sister had a stroke and was prescribe this medication at 25mg. You should have had a good sleep the first time you started the 10mg, I don't know what was the direction from your GP but you have to slowly I crease the dose and decrease. I suggest you talk to your GP for losing sleep and the nerve trigger. I know when I started I use to sleep like a sheep.. and is still affective now that I have decreased to 5mg. I also suggest not to increase the dose right away as it will make you very sleepy during the day and you will feel drupy and extremely tired. It will make driving and doing things around the house a little difficult. You might need someone there with you to be cautious if you take more than the prescribed dose.

Hope you feel better soon. ... Good luck

• Posted

Hi there John82939 I've been taking this now for 8 weeks. 10mg every night at the same time. I don't like to feel groggy in the mornings so take it at 9.30 pm on the dot & don't go to bed till 11 most nights, I find that I drop off now quite nicely & pretty much have undisturbed sleep. This is helpful as im now less grumpy & tired in the day . I am really anti pain meds for myself and resisted taking this for 4 years It only has a 12 hr life span anyway . It has definitely improved the nerve pain I've experienced for 4 years. And after trying Gabapentin from a consultant , although it had an immediate effect on the nerve pain , it caused me to have fits. Something I'd never had in my life , so was taking straight off that. It was another 2 years before I tried Amyltriptaline. Can honestly say it's been helpful for me. Has even numbed the pins & needles in the soles of my feet which were horrible . I've been told also that I can work.ip yo 50 mg info need to, but am happy yo stick with 10 mg at the moment. The only side effect I've really had is a horribly dry mouth in the morning, but this is less than it was now. I think the idea is to keep at 1 dose for at least 3 months before you increase it to 20 & so on.

• Posted

Sorry did mean to say John,,, I do tend to have shakes or kick out at night,, when I've taken my Amatriptalin,, obviously being on 50mg is a hell of a lot,,,, could write a book,,good luck John chat anytime regarding or exchanging symptoms,,,,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.