Nervous about cystoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have some small stones in my bladder and am going for a cystoscopy on Friday. I am extremely anxious about the procedure, the thought of it makes me feel sick. I know I’m going to get upset when it comes to it. Any stories of your own experiences that can make me feel better?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  I’m a bladder cancer patient and have to have regular cystoscopies. Like you i was terrified at first. Don’t worry, it isn’t bad at all. Sometimes I don’t feel them at all, other times I’ve felt a mild discomfort. No real pain, just a different feeling. It takes only a few minutes. It’s honestly not as bad as you think it will be.

Good luck

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig, thanks so much for your message. I think it’s just the thought of the actual process that makes me feel funny! I’ll try to relax. 

Thank you and best wishes x

• Posted

HI- I was the same as you, very worried. It was fine, very quick and I felt nothing at all.  Hope yours goes well . 
  • Posted

Hi Beth,

I heartily second Craig and Amanda. Look on it this way: thanks to modern miniturization  the part of the instrument that goes into your bladder is about the same size as a 16 French gauge catheter. If you have catheter experience it is virtually the same. If you haven't, then there are millions of us cathing ourselves on a daily basis, self included, 3 times a day. Rest assured, it is eminently survivable. When your doctor or nurse performing the procedure asks you to relax they mean go through the motions of urinating. If they have given you a numbing ge then insist on a 5 to 10 minute delay to allow gel to take effect. You have every right to do this.

I wish you a happy outcome!

Alan86734.

• Posted

Thank you for the reassurance Alan. Still a bit nervous but starting to feel better x
    • Posted

Hi Beth,

My reply was somewhat open ended because I know nothing about you. Were all different. What are your experiences leading up to the present? I would be quite happy to hear about your case via a PM (Private Message) if you would prefer.

I must state here and now, I am not a doctor but as an engineer with doctors as co-directors, in the past (i am retired) I might be able to offer you a little hand-holding if nothing else. I still wish you all the best.

alan86734.

• Posted

Hi Alan, at the moment it's just bladder stones so they need a closer look. I'm not in pain and I'm not worried about the results, it was literally just the thought of the cystoscopy that was giving me jitters. Just need to relax and tell myself it won't be as horrendous as I'm imaging, I hope!

• Posted

Hey

Sorry to hear you are feeling anxious. It's completely understandable to be worried and even feeling sick. You would have to be quite unusual not to be anxious about a doctor sticking things into you.

I've had a flexible cystoscopy and an endoscopy too. The colonoscopy was fine, very quick and easy. If you feel pain, you can ask them to stop at any time.

Try to focus on your breathing, which will help. You could also let the nurse know when booking you in that you are nervous. I don't know if sedation is on offer but you could ask. Is anyone going with you? Might be a good idea. They would stay outside but could give you moral support.

You might want to get yourself a treat to look forward to afterwards. You can think about that during the procedure. Ice cream!

Best of luck and I hope they sort out the stones. Pesky things. I have one in my kidney I want to mark "Return to Sender."

• Posted

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your advice. I think I will be given a numbing cream according to the letter I had, but I will definitely let the nurse know if I’m still feeling the way I do now about it, or if it gets too much. My partner is coming with me so at least I won’t be waiting on my own. Will remember to just breathe and relax!

Totally agree RE the kidney stones lol x

• Posted

Good! You seem to be on the right track. Best of luck and I hope that your condition will be resolved once, and only once as it was in my case, also bladder stones over 75 years ago.

Warm regards, alan86734.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.