Nervous about impending sigmoidoscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am scheduled to have a sigmoidoscopy very soon. I am nervous as I have never had one before. I am worried about the pain. I had an endoscopy before and while it wasn't painful, it was extremely uncomfortable. I had it without sedation and regretted it. Would you recommend sedation for a sigmoidoscopy? How painful is it likely to be?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Ive had 2 sigmoidoscopys both without sedation. The 1st was a little uncomfortable when it went round a bend but it was for seconds and bearable . A little like trapped wind . The second time the nurse who did my enema gave me a tip to take deep breaths which I did and felt nothing . It's over in around 15 minutes . Good luck

• Posted

I think it might depend where you are.  If the USA I think you will be offered sedation,  but you need to have someone to take you home and stay with you for 24 hours.  If the UK I think they no longer provide sedation for a sigmoidoscopy although they might offer gas and air.  A lot of people have nothing more than some discomfort, some people do feel pain.  I think a lot depends on what your condition is, and there's no way of knowing in advance.  I personally go for as much sedation as I can get, but I have a diverticulum right on the 1st bend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.