Nervous about meeting with Neurosurgeon

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have an appointment with the Neurosurgeon tomorrow morning to discuss surgery solutions for my TN. I also have MS. I feel quite anxious about it. Wondering whether others felt the same. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Go for it Sash.........meeting with your neurosurgeon is the ONLY way you’ll get good advice about all the options available for your particular diagnosis. Assume you’ve had your MRI already? If not he’ll get on set up for you. 

You’re bound to be nervous so why not write down a list of questions because you’ll forget some of them and kick yourself in the car park afterwards! 

He won’t mind you doing that and actually will be quite pleased to be able to answer your queries, offer you some treatment options and give you some info on likely outcomes for you specifically. There is a huge evidence base that they have access to so they will have a pretty good idea for cases like yours. 

Go on, write down your questions and ask them all!!!!

Good luck, let us know how you got on. 

Keep safe

Big D 

PS: where are you? Are you in the UK? 

• Posted

Bless you Big D for your kind words, I really appreciate it. Yes, I’m in the UK and I’m going to the National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery, so I’m in good hands. I hope you’re healing well.  I’ll make a list and try to collect my thoughts. 

Best wishes

Sasha 

• Posted

Hi sasha, its good to have ur surgery u wl get ride of the pain and u wll enjoy ur life free of pain,, bestof luck 
  • Posted

Good Morning Sasha,

i too have requested a consultation with my neurologist  with a view to asking to meet the neurosurgeon who will perform required surgery. I would be asking loads of questions and sharing your anxiety and also ask how many surgeries of this nature he/she has performed and outcomes. So feel for you. Take care and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Sasha,

I'm sorry about not replying. I've only just read your post. I hope the meeting with the neurosurgeon went well despite you being so nervous. Big D said everything that I would have said! Please let us know how you got on.

Best Wishes

Chris

• Posted

Thank you to Big D, Khan, Sharon and Chris for your nice messages - it’s so kind of you all to take the time to reply. The meeting went well and the neurosurgeon thinks it could be a compressed nerve, which surprised me. However he needs to discuss with my MS consultant as the next step. So we’ll see. Thank you again for your support. 

Sasha 

• Posted

I'm so pleased that the appointment went well. Hopefully the 2 doctors will talk it through and work out what is best for you. I'm sure I read somewhere that MS sufferers are more likely to have TGN than those that don't have MS. However, that may not be true because when I was researching, before I had surgery, I was in a Tegratol haze and I felt my brain was disconnected from the rest of my body! Keep in touch.

Best Wishes,

Chris

• Posted

Hi Sasha,

I'm sorry, I have only just seen your letter and I do hope your appointment with the Neurosurgeon went well.  I also have TN and MS, last year I had Gamma Knife Surgery, it made the TN worse for a couple of months then I woke up one morning with no pain at all, this lasted for about 2 months then it slowly went numb now the whole of the left side of my face is numb and I do have odd pins and needles in it, however, it is definitely better than TN 100 times better and not to have to take those awful drugs that made me feel like a zombie.

I would say go ahead with surgery.  I look forward to hearing how your appointment went.  I was offered Gamma Knife or an injection.

I wish you very good luck and am thinking of you.

Sally

• Posted

Hi sally, hope you are doing well, as i have also MVD 2 times this time there is no pain at all but the right side of my body arm and leg have very little movement even i cant stand and walk, kindly is any one have such experience coz my surgeon told that it well okay with time but im still worried..

Thanks and regards

• Posted

Glad it went well!!! Hope you'll soon be (less) pain free!!! Xoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.