Nervous about SVT

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 50 year old woman who experienced on March 30th what I was told a SVT. My heart rate had reached 222 beats per minute by the time I got to the ER. I was admitted into ICU and over the course of a 9 day stay o had first an ablation Done to see if it would correct my issue. During the ablation they thought they saw a blockage so the next day I had a catheter done to check. Thank God no blockage and the heart muscles were strong but my rate now would not go past 50 beats per minute and normal is 60. My cardiologist suggested I get a pacemaker to fix the issue so I did. I haven't had it yet a week now. I feel a lot better but still quite nervous since this is all new to me. I was hoping I could get some advise from someone who has experienced this.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you are going through this - you are definitely at the right forum as there is a ton of support here. What did they find during the ablation? Did your heart rate ever go down from 222 while I’m ICU? I’m at the cardiologist as we speak waiting to get my ECHO done.  Mine came as a complete shock too.
    • Posted

They burned out to of the veins. They weren't allowing my blood to flow thru my heart which made my rate so high. They thought by doing that it would bring my heart rate back to normal but it didnt. Sue to my rate being so high when I arrived it did some minor damage. My heart rate after the ablation wou ldnt go any higher than 52 beats per minute. Normal is 60. Sometimes it would drop into the 40's. They checked for blockage but my arteries were clear so my cardiologist gave me the option of either try and treat with meds or fix it with a pacemaker. I chose the pacemaker. I'm just nervous because it's something new to me. I'm only 50 and having one isn't the norm for someone my age.

• Posted

I would be nervous too. I am still nervous just being told all this in the last couple weeks myself. I think we all just need to adjust to a different lifestyle from here on out and this aging literally happens overnight. I’m 41, extremely healthy - do cardio 5-6 days a week and basically in the best shape of my life and have this svt which has just shaken me up. I’m dealing now not sure if I’ll do the ablation. If the pacemaker is something you end up not liking will you try the meds?
    • Posted

No meds for me. I actually chose to do the pacemaker. To me it was what was best. Taking a bunch of pills has never been something I would want to do. I know me I would probably forget or not take timely. And after a while your body becomes immune to meds so with the pacemaker you get it checked every 6 months for the first year or so then after that, you go like every 7 years unless you feel something different. It comes with a wireless monitor you keep bedside so your readings are constantly being given to your doctor. If they feel u need to go to the ER they will call u. I'm an active person and want to live life the way I used to and felt this was the closest thing to allowing me to do so. Thank you Jenny for responding. It's nice to know that I can talk to someone who is experiencing the same thing. Appreciate you. 😊

• Posted

Hi Shirl - that makes sense.  And I appreciate you, too!  

I also do not want to take meds.  My ECHO today was normal, and now I have the Zpatch on to capture any episodes.  I've had 3 episodes in the last 3 weeks.  I'm hoping to catch some on the monitor.  Depending on the severity, I'll go from there on treatment, but I can't do the beta blockers.  They just make me feel awful.

• Posted

Keep me posted Jenny on your progress. I don't blame you about

Beta blockers. Hope all works out wonderfully for you and you won't need anything. 🤞🤞

• Posted

First...hugs! I have heard it takes about 3 months after the ablation to feel "better". I had mine about 5 weeks ago. Have some patience with yourself during the recovery period. I did not need a pacemaker so I am not sure about that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.