Neuralgia/ vertigo

Posted , 3 users are following.

Up until January I was a fit healthy 40 year old woman ( ran a marathon in October) until one night I rolled over in my sleep and immediately woke in a panic with the room spinning!!!spent the next 9 days in bed with severe vertigo! (Couldn't even lift my head up to eat or drink without the room spinning and being sick). It took around 3 weeks and medication for the light headed and dizziness to go but ever since I have had bad pain deep in my right ear which runs across to my right eye and is a aching throbbing sensation. This pain never goes away but also on and off during the day I have headaches in various pain levels and also blurred vision in my right eye. I have been to doctor a few times and been sent to stroke clinic ( who rules out a stroke) had an MRI scan and been put on anti depressant type tablets to treat what the doctor thinks is neuralgia, however the medication only eased the intensity of the pain and also kept me awake with palpitations. Last couple of weeks iv also started to experience ringing and various whooshing noises in my right ear too. Can anyone help as the doctor doesn't seem to think its too much of a problem wen though its affecting my whole life! I'm a single mum who works full time and am supposed to be training for another marathon but my life has just been on hold since January.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Have you tried getting your doctor to refer you to an ENT? It may be some kind if inner ear condition that you might have. I myself have VN (vestibular Neurititis). My symptoms get worse whenever I am tired.

I also had pain and whooshing in my ears. The ENT told me that I have balance loss in my right ear. He

found this out after many balance tests at the hospital.

Regards,

Helen

• Posted

Hi, I'm still in the early stages of whatever is going on. It definitely feels more my ear and eye than my head. I will definately mention it when I next see the doctor. It doesn't seem to be classic neuralgia symptoms as mine are constant in varying degrees of pain. Thanks for the advise smile
  • Posted

I believe I have an extremely good diet full of fresh fruit, veg, fish ect and also drink plenty of water as its a habit now from all the training! I have always been healthy and these problems have only occurred since the episode of virtigo so I am convinced its connected to that and not my diet or lifestyle. I am also a non smoker and non drinker too. I do carb up when I am training as that's what is required to Cope with long distances and I use protein after runs to repair muscles. Whatever is going on is definately not lifestyle but thanks for the advice
  • Posted

I forgot to mention that I also sometimes get pressure around my eyes and sinuses. I found that if I wet a

cloth with hot water and applied it above my eyes, the pressure would momentarily go away. What also

helped me is getting physiotherapy done for my neck. They would massage my neck which helped ease

tension. I found that if I had bad neck pain that's when my headaches felt worse. The nerves from the neck

go all the way to the top of the head.

I also realized that my symptoms got worse if I was anxious. Like yesterday, I felt really, really bad. I had a

high fever and I ached all over. I told myself that it was nothing to worry about, but of course that's easier

said than done. My mind immediately thinks the worst and then my heart starts racing. I felt bad because I

was so dizzy and then my anxiety only increases the dizziness. Of course I was worried for nothing, today

I'm feeling a little better. At least my fever is down now.

I hope that you feel better soon and please feel free to ask me any questions.

Regards,

Helen

• Posted

Thanks Helen I have also had aching in my sinuses it seems to follow a diagonal line from my ear across my face at the minute. Afternoons seem worse and I'm feeling faint and sick with the pain, just wish it would go away as I'm struggling to cope with working through it smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.