Neurocardiogenic syncope

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed about 2 years ago and it lasted for about six months. I could never figure out a trigger that was causing it. They had me on multiple medications which they had me stop taking due to them not working. I had a positive tilt table test where my heart rate and blood pressure would plummet and I would pass out. I have hit my head numerous times and had numerous concussions. They had me in the hospital for two days performing multiple test with a neurologist and cardiologist and found nothing. The only thing that made it stop was bed rest, hydration and a high salt diet for about a month. It just recently came back about two weeks ago and I've passed out about 10 times in that 2 weeks. I can't afford to keep missing work and be on bed rest. Has anyone else had something similar and found some alternative method that works? Also I forgot to mention they put an implantable loop recorder in my chest that just shows my heart rate dropping when I pass out. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Left me know if you have any questions or need further information.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have same of the same symptoms..   was driving about 4 years ago on interstate,  fainted and  ran  into the median, went to my GP, he got an appointment with electrophysiologist. I was put on Flecainide.......that med has SAVED my life...I do not have as many near syncope spells and they are not a full blown FAINT...  just  ringing in ears, black out feeling but do not lose consiousness..  Would love to talk with u further. I also have a loop recorder implanted in chest,,  I had ABLATION procedure in Aug. and was better for a while but the near syncope has returned. Sure does seem stress related. Not sure. The electrophysiologist who performed the ablation said I am still healing and if the near syncope spells continue he wants to repeat the ablation. Not sure if I will go thru with it. Would love to speak with you. Please reply. Thx
  • Posted

I am in the US. Have similar history. I take Florinef (fludrocortisone) every day. It has been a life saver for me. Check with your doctor.
  • Posted

Sorry you are having so many complications. I, too, have had multiple "near" syncope episodes because of bradycardia. I have a loop recorder implanted. In Aug 2016 I had a cardiac ablation procedure to correct AFIB. Seems to have been a success but I still have near fainting because heart beat pauses. Right now I am waiting to be scheduled to have a pacemaker implanted. I am on Flecainide total of 250 mg a day as well as Eliquis and a small dose of atenolol. Before I started Flecainide about 10 years ago I had numerous fainting spells. It has saved my life but I still have problems, just not as frequent or severe. 

• Posted

May I ask what is a loop recorder? I am having my 4th Holter today.
  • Posted

So have either of you been given the cause for your your arrythmias? I had suggessted Florinef thinking you needed more fluid volume but it sounds like you each have autonomic or electrical issues. I am not familiar with your meds but will look them up. Arrythmias are part of my autonomic dysfunction, I go from one extreme to the other. I am often bradycardic at rest but then will have runs of SVT (fast). Any info you care to share will be appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.