Neurological impacts of Mono

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with mono in the fall two years ago during my junior year of HS and was sick with it for most of the remainder of the school year. By that summer I was feeling mostly back to normal however I've noticed some persisting symptoms that I was wondering if anyone else had experienced with mono.

I have been having issues with fogginess, memory problems, concentration problems, increased tinnitus, random tingling in my limbs, increased dizziness when standing up from sitting or sitting up from laying down. I've also experienced increased anxiety, depression, and feelings of isolation.

The therapist I've been talking with has been doing nuero-feedback which helped with the fogginess but thinks that mono made my ADD much worse than it was before mono, explaining some of the symptoms. Medicine for ADD has helped some with the focus and concentration, but I was wondering if other's have had mono effect their brain in a similar way. I have a high suspicion that Mono caused these neurological symptoms, what do you think? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had the same symptoms and its just months i had this illness still have swollen lymph nodes and feeling hot sometimes,but im just trying to ignore and keep up with my life hoping i be fine soon.lets be positive
  • Posted

Hi there

EVERY single symptom you described I had. The neurological impact on the cns is very under diagnosed. I am better after two years but fatigue is still there but not as,bad. You are not alone!

• Posted

Oh Hello There,

So sorry to hear that you've had such a tough time and still experiencing a lot of the neuro symptoms after this time. I do think that can still be normal and that you still can and will make a full recovery. It really can take a looong time for some people, like it has for you, just really hoping and praying things can take a turn for the better and you feel stronger.

Maybe something that could help is to take some vitamins / herbs that help with neuro symptoms and concentration, brain fog, etc. B complex vitamins are great for this, as are Co-Enzyme Q10 and herbs like Gingko Biloba I believe. Things that helped me included taking a good strong multi-vitamin per day, high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), a good dose of Vitamin D and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng. But definitely would recommend the B complex and Co-enzyme Q10 for the brain fog and concentration!

Thinking about you and hang in there - things will get better as time goes on I truly believe that for you!

Craig

• Posted

I have ADHD and I have found that after being infected my concentration has gone so downhill and I'm a lot more on edge constantly. Never knew if it was related though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.