Neurological symptoms stemming from Mononucleosis / glandular fever

Posted , 11 users are following.

This is my first post on a health forum. I've been reading forums on mononucleosis and of course, have been driven nuts with the stories both good and bad.

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis 2 months ago today. The acute stage of the illness was intense. I had lost 25 lbs, couldn't eat, was extremely fatigued and wasn't absorbing nutrients. The most scary symptoms related to my brain. I had extreme anxiety and panic attacks (waking up with them). I had muscle spasms across my body and what felt like marching ants in my legs. When ever I ate, I'd get a burning sensation in my legs and lips. I had absolutely no short term memory and the days all seemed to pass without my concept of time. I felt out of body as tho my words were not my own. Over all my brain felt really foggy. I couldn't drive and had come close to accidents when attempting.

Fast forward two months and I feel miles better then I did. The lingering symptoms now is fatigue and I still have brain fog. I'm not able to concentrate on complex situations or tasks (what bill is more important to pay first, work related tasks, etc). Yeaterday feels like it could have been a month ago... I continue to have twitches all over my body on occasion.

My background is I served in the army and did a tour of Iraq. I work in the arts where we work on very large projects for important clients including Disney. I've always been incredibley sharp and quick on my thoughts but now I feel as though I can not conceptualize as much or as fast as before. I have two small kids and a wife and I worry that the way I feel could run into many months. That would devastate my life. Based on all the mono/glandular fever stories given by Dr. Google, I'm truly worried about my prognosis. The positive side is im able to limp through a 40 hour work week but unable to be of any use of the weekends to my wife and kids.

My questions would be are my symptoms in line with other mono stories and can I expect a full recovery? I want my brain back!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jeffrey,

That all sounds like typical mono symptoms to me! Although, unfortunately these symptoms aren't as widely known or accepted by many health practitioners. I had to result to forums like this to reassure myself.. and there are tons of people like us! The ehealth mononucleosis forum has some good posts too which I found a lot of comfort in.

The brain fog is the worst symptom for me too. Feeling like im high or like im on another planet, completely disconnected from my environment. I also get a lot of limb weakness and feel off balance sometimes. It's been 10 months for me but dont let that worry you because everyone recovers at different times. Hopefully you'll be much quicker.

• Posted

Thanks again aquin. I don't really mind the duration of illness.. I just want to have the assurance I'll recover! I've been a very aggreasive go getter working late and lacking sleep. With a big family, I think I finally collapsed. It has changed my life and I will be possitive from it all but I need to come out of it! I somewhat enjoy having to relax a bit more then before but I need to be back to normalcy so I can get back to my old self. The brain fog is the most disabling symptom. I explained to my wife that the memory I formed with my 1.5 year old a few hours ago feels like it could have been yesterday. It's a strange sensation. Also talking to someone and having to work hard to keep my train of thought... Scary stuff! But your post and others give me hope of better days. Thanks again and let's suffer and grow together.

• Posted

Oh we will all definitely get better! I know that for sure. It's just the waiting game that is grueling. I have young children too - 5 and 2 and i feel like ive missed out on the past 10 months of their lives due to this relentless illness. But good will come of it too. I've had a lot of time to think about what really matters to me in life. This illness has put everything into perspective for me.

Keep in touch!

• Posted

Aww I hear you with two little ones. I have a 1.5 and 4 year old. I'd say this age is probably the brst age for their dad (me) to get sick. They won't remember how weak and pathetic I was and it's good for me because they love you unconditionally. When I was in the acute phase, my son the 4 year old would hug and kiss my arm because he knew he couldn't kiss me on the lips. Made me cry uncontrollably but also gave me strength. I'll never forget that.

If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to on me! Just talking to you here has done great things for me! Be well.

• Posted

Good afternoon,

I am currently going through the exact same condition you both have described. I am in month 4 and I am suffering badly with depression due to the symptoms, I agree, the brain fog is the most debilitating.

I was just wondering as this post is a year old if you both recovered fully, how long did it take and are the any words of advice?

• Posted

I've been going through a lot of the same symptoms that randomly started a month ago,  I've also had bizarre pressure in both sides of my mid abdominal area and have had an irregular heartbeat. I also have had anxiety for years and I think my immune system fighting off the mono might be causing an increase in anxiety. (I have tons of worries that this is actually some type of cancer because of all the symptoms all over my body). I really hope somthing changes soon rolleyes

• Posted

Hello Jeffrey,

how are you doing? have you recovered completely? What did they find on EEG? 

I have had EBV encephalitis as well, now it has been 2 years, still not 100%, but still improving, encountered all the brain stuff you mentioned, nonexistent memory, not remembering family members, cognitive decline etc..

• Posted

I'm hoping the reason he hasn't replied for a long time is due to the fact he's completely better. I say this because I feel the same way!

• Posted

I had both, black eye floaters and this nauseous feeling when looking around, like being drunk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.