Neurologist passing off my symptoms as psychosomatic

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am a 23 year old male, from India. I weigh 127 kgs. My average bp is 120/80 and i do not have diabetes. I started having a heavy-headedness feeling and balance issues (feeling of since November 2022, After consultation with the family doctor, I was told to have vertin 16mg as i was having vertigo. After a few weeks my condition did not improve, if anything, i felt worse while moving my head, the only thing helping me was washing my eyes or using artifical tears for a couple of days. I started getting chest pain and went to a cardiologist since it was severe, he asked me to get a CT Coronary Angiogram done and a troponin test done. My CT scan said that i did not have any calcification and zero atherosclerosis and the troponin test was also negative.

When my heavy headedness and dizziness / loss of balance did not improve, i approached a neurologist who suggested me to get an MRI brain routine done and to get my TSH, B12 and D3 levels checked. My TSH was in the normal range (2.9) but my B12 was very low (119) and D3 was (16). He said my MRI seemed to be fine, with -

• T2 and FLAIR hyperintense foci noted in periventricular white matter of right pareital lobe - non specific foci.

He put me on propranolol (betacap tr 40) once a day after my breakfast and prescribed Naxdom 500 for when it got severe. He also adviced me to get b12 and d3 injections and follow up with blood tests after a few weeks. ( my b12 and d3 levels are back to normal now, after 4 weeks of weekly injections) I think this helped me because the intensity of my conditions reduced for a few weeks, but recently, my heavy headedness reduced but i feel extremely dizzy throughout the day and feel like i could fall any moment, with weakness in my lower back and legs.

After consultation with another neurologist of using propranolol, he told me to stop my propranolol and put me on flunarizine (brand name: Sibelium 5mg) every night for 30 days. I was anxious due to this and asked him if I should get another MRI done if the first one missed something but he ruled it out and also suggested to see a psychiatrist. Are they missing something and not taking me seriously? I mainly fear a missed TIA which could have impacted my balance (like brain stem)

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.