Neurologist Recommendation in Ottawa, Canada?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I know this a shot in the dark but does anyone know of a neurologist with HFS experience in or around the Ottawa area in Canada? My GP literally does not know where to send me. She has never heard of HFS and apparently doesn't want to research it since she asks ME what I have found in my reading and research (that really blows my mind since she has been an awesome doctor for the past 30 years)! I had my first HFS (I'm atypical) March 1 of this year and they have been getting stronger and more frequent. I mostly have spasms involving the whole left side where everything tightens towards my left ear and then once it releases I get all the twitching mostly at the eye and mouth. I know if I can give her the name of a neurologist that has some familiarity with HFS she will refer me. I'm definitely feeling a little alone in this process so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I'd strongly recommend that you join the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support Group - it has lots of Canadian members who I am sure will be able to advise you.  As you probably already know, Dr Kaufmann (Kauffman?) in Winnipeg is the 'go to' surgeon for this condition in Canada - he gets rave reviews!  It may be that his secretary could advise you as to a good neurologist in your area?  But, I am in the UK and so don't have first hand knowledge other than what I've read.  All the best to you, it really does pay to get someone who knows what they're doing, particularly if you are going to give Botox a try.

• Posted

Thank you so much! That is a great idea. I will check him out and tell my doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.