neurology examination - should I have been asked to strip down?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. This is something that's bothered and annoyed me for years but I didn't do anything about it. I was having dizzy spells and saw a neurology consultant at a private hospital. During the appointment the consultant asked me to strip down to just my knickers. I was shocked at this and asked why. He said it was so that he could see if I was walking straight. He didn't offer me a chaperone and I felt extremely uncomfortable but assumed he knew what he was talking about so dutifully did as he asked. So just in my knickers I did what he told me and walked up and down the room while he watched.

He told me to get dressed again, said he thought the dizzy spells were down to stress (I was trying for a baby at the time) and I left.

It's bugged me all this time (this was some 18 years ago now) and I'd just like to know if it's normal practice during a neurology examination??

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi burlington,

You can ask for a chaperone if you feel that way, and uncomfortable with any doctor or consultant.

It is quite normal to be asked by Neurology Consultant to strip down just to your underwear, what they are looking for is if you are walking with a slight "gait" which could lead you to be off-balance. I have it done in many times, so it is quite normal, after awhile you do get used to it, but you can ask at anytime you feel uncomfortable about doing something in front of a doctor.

Regards.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I suppose I'm just still wondering why I had to take my bra off, too! :o/ 
    • Posted

I did wonder that myself. That part did throw me as well. I know Neurologist Consultants look at the various muscles are working while you are walking. But that part I would not class as anything to do with muscles in your legs.

The funny thing is, my neurologist was a woman and I am a man. Wde were in a private room and she was paged at the time, but she did ask me to strip down, now I must of been naive because when returrned to back to see me, I was lying completely naked on a bed. Her first words were "I do not wish to see those parts!" - since then I have always asked how far, instead of embarressing myself and doctor! redface

• Posted

Hahaha! Awkward! :oD

Yes, that's why I still think there was something not quite right. Really wish I'd have followed it up with the hospital at the time. I know it was years ago but I still feel annoyed about it! 

• Posted

The only thing I would think of a situation where a woman would need to remove her bra, and that would be if they were checking for lumps, but then you would be checked by an Oncologist, not Neurologist. They specialize in totally different areas, so the checks would differ very much.

I have seen both because I did have cancer about 6 years ago, still in remission, just this last year to gó. smile

• Posted

Oh bless you, so glad you're nearly there! 

Thanks for your help. I'd be interested to know what others think - if anyone else thinks it shouldn't have happened.

• Posted

Lol! That happened to me too at a consultant's home with wife listening outside door! In bra and knickers AND he asked me to turn round and bend down with him behind! My husband was in car outside but like you there was no explanation of what he was looking for.  However I was diagnosed by MRI a year later with MS. But I think the bra was a tad unnecessary...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.