Neuroma Post Bunionectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I was hoping to receive some input from anyone that may be in a similar situation as I am. I had a bunionectomy exactly a year ago. In the months following the surgery, I properly followed the recovery instructions. Almost immediately after switching from a surgical shoe to a regular shoe, I noticed that I had pain under my third and fourth toes with every step. I let my surgeon know about the pain about 3-4 months after surgery but he seemed unconcerned and brushed it off as something that would heal eventually. 11 months after the surgery I saw a different podiatrist and almost immediately after I mentioned my symptoms he felt my foot and diagnosed 2 neuromas.

After looking at my x-rays he said the surgery was done well and this was a seperate issue. However, I never had this problem before and seeing as it occurred directly after having the surgery, it appears to be a direct cause.

This problem affects me significantly everyday. I am experiencing pain with every step I take and I am extremely limited with what I can do physically. I never expected to be debilitated from bunion surgery. Before the surgery I was an active runner, running up to 8 miles a day. Nowadays I am having trouble just walking short distances because of the pain and discomfort. I have received 1 cortisone injection from the doctor that diagnosed the neuromas but unfortunately, it has only worsened the pain. There is a surgery that can be done to sever the nerves however, it is extremely risky and has a low success rate.

I am interested to know if anybody here has also developed a neuroma post bunion surgery and whether or not I have any claim against the surgeon.

Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

im having same pain and have insole in my trainer as i cant wear shoes. not had any further surgery and from reading your experience its unlikely i will have injections. i too am at a loss!

• Posted

No you can't she the surgeon. It was one of the risks you agreed to. I had a neuroma and bunion done at the same time. They take the nerve out and it goes numb it may grow back again it has an 85% success rate. Depending on how good your surgeon is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.