Neurontin (Gabapentin) Safe Withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, I was given gabapentin last month to treat pelvic pain caused by Endometriosis. I am a recovering addict and the gabapentin took care of my pain but it also made me feel high, or euphoric. I quickly started abusing it and soon went from the prescribed dose of 300mg 3x/day to close to 3,000 mg in the final days. I then resumed medical marijuana and actually overdosed on gabapentin and other medications last week and ended up in the ICU.

Scary! At the hospital they took away gabapentin all at once and I felt ok for a week but now I'm experiencing cold turkey withdrawal symptoms and I'm stuck. I don't wish to return to gabapentin but I may need to in order to safely detox from it. 

I have a host of mental health issues, including Bipolar illness, ptsd, ADD & anxiety.

I take 400 mgs of Seroquel to stay balanced.

I have a sponsor and go to AA meetings daily as well as attending an outpatient addiction treatment program.

My concern is.... Is it dangerous medically to stop gabapentin cold turkey, keeping in mind I was on gabapentin for one month but at increasingly high doses. Please help!? Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

From what I have heard you should always be on a physician supervised weaning schedule since this is an anti-seizure medication (used off-label for nerve pain).

I was told your body can only absorb 1800 mg total during a 24 hour period.

Can you speak to another physician to get a second opinion?  It is my understanding the hospital should not have abruptly discontinued the gabapentin.

• Posted

Thank you G, That is very interesting information. Very helpful. I was able to speak to my doctor this morning and she said that since I was only on it for one month, and I have been off it for over one week, to just continue with the discontinuation. Keep it simple. I feel A LOT better today after a great night's sleep, talking with my sponsor and drinking a lot of water. However, I will be paying attention to my body/mind and get a second (third?) opinion if I don't feel right. I was able to keep myself calm, practice deep breathing and good nutrition, and by the Grace of God, the symptoms all but vanished. But certainly I will keep watch. Thanks again!!!!

• Posted

PS--in my experience, medical doctors are well known for abruptly discontinuing medications in a hospital setting, which can wreak havoc once the patient is released. I had that experience with Ativan and nearly had a seizure! I think it's important to always get a second--or third-- opinion. 

• Posted

I would speak to another Doctor asap. This is a drug that I understand you have to taper off of. Good luck. Sheri
  • Posted

Talia, isn't it something that this safe non addictive medication made you feel euphoric and now You need to slowly detox off and Their not sure how long it will take!  I'm sorry that gabapentin tripped you up on a program You were trying to work!  The devils work to slip in that!  I was also told it's not addictive but I had to start taking opiates to what I know now for the pain that gabapentin was responsible for in my pelvic and lower abdomen. Good luck and I hope you find a Doctor to help you. Sherri

• Posted

Hi Sheri, YES exactly!! Thank you for your support and compassion. Devil's work indeed. In doing some research I discovered that gabapentin is widely used as a recreational drug; guess I'm not the only one who felt euphoric after taking it, especially in higher doses. That said, PLEASE, anyone who is reading this, do NOT try it for yourself. It isn't worth it. I feel that gabapentin (Neurontin) would be an ok med for someone who has chronic pain and ISNT an addict, but for an addict it is dangerous. 

I was able to get the go ahead from my doctor to d/c the gabapentin but I will be watching to make sure I stay stable and balanced as I do. Fortunately, i now have a sponsor, an outpatient program, a sober living environment, and renewed faith in God, who is wayyy stronger than the devil. smile

Thanks again Sheri and I wish you all the best too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.