Neuropathy after lumbar surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

On December 18th was my last surgery I am now entering my 3rd month of recovery. On my first surgery (March 20,2017) I had the C3 & C4 fused there was already pressure to the spinal cord, surgery was done immediately 3 months later (June 20,2017) I had the L3 & L4 had to be fused due to pressure on the spinal nerve. On December 18,2017. I had the L5 & S1 fused together with the L3 & L4. On the 18th of this month I will have 3 months of recovery, and have been on every type of medication for body pain since 1990 when I was diagnosed with Wegeners Granulomatosis.

I have had the pain in my legs since then but now after these surgeries the pain has increased and my sleep behavior is worse I'm lucky if I get 4 to 5 hours of sleep, sometimes I'm unable to sleep for 2 or 3 days and maybe catch 1 to 2 hours of sleep during that time period.

Most recently I've been experiencing that unexplainable pain  in both legs along with a burning sensation or numbness, during the day my symptoms are somewhat tolerable but into the evening the pain becomes intolerable/ As for my medications I take Gabapentin and Oxicodone for my pain, and other medications for the other symptoms that come along with the stress of the surgeries.

Has anyone tried or heard of any natural remedies to deal with the pain If yes please share what you have tried or have heard of.

Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment. Juan

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Has any doctor advised you to take B12. I have burning pain in both feet and some numbness in my big toes.  Doctors gave me amitriptyline and gabapentin which definitely helps but I really can't take either one because it makes me dizzy, unbalanced and shaky.  I finally asked my doctor could some vitamin deficiency and he told me sometimes B12 deficiency can cause it.  He said just a blood test is not definitive because vitamin deficiencies sometimes don't show up.  He told me to get a good quality B12 and take it and see if it helps.  I plan on doing that.   

• Posted

Hi Juan,

Sorry to hear your problem, I have a problem with my leg (sciatic nerve pain L5-S1 lateral recess stenosis) for more than 7 year but I think it's heal now. How I get heal is by doing Mindfulness Meditation — Happiness mind; that do help a lot, I feel my body more lighter. I can do my activities like normally and no more back/leg pain. Btw, the whole story can be read on Medium [ID 103cia].

Hope it help smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.