Neuropathy and work

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I'm in the UK and about 10 years ago got pains in my hands and arms. 10 years on I'm now going to Oxford for an official diagnosis. However my consultant at Manchester has already said its peripheral neuropathy and can't be cured but he has also told me I will never work again. I already take 14 pills a day and a morphine patch and still don't have the pain under control. My question is I'm having massive trouble with DWP. I get daily living high rate for pip awarded last year. But dwp are refusing to acknowledge the fact the consultant has said I.ll never work again and has even put it in letter form to dwp again they refused to accept it as proof. I was in a support group on esa but last week failed a medical examination and have been moved to the work group. I myself know I'm unfit to work at this time but need some advice about how to go over this. With thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Go down the mental health route. I assume you are depressed, sometimes consider suicide? Get a diagnosis for that along side the neuropathy . But you may have to cry at the next DWP medical. Some of their doctors seem to see everyone as shirkers, it is very frightening, but they are scared of mental illness.

I hope this helps. All the best

• Posted

Ask your doctor to write you a letter explaining why you can't work and lodge an appeal against the decision to move you to the Work Group.

• Posted

I feel your pain mate, in both ways. I have central post-stroke pain, since 1996, and have had two surgeries on my brain at the John Radcliffe in Oxford, which I suspect, is where you're going. Neither DBS operations worked for me and the suffering is absolutely horrible. I'm on loads of medication too, it would be interesting to compare notes on that, if you're ok with it of course. DWP can be awful to deal with, I've had appeals, lost one won one. I've been in the WRG group on ESA by mistake, but a phone call every 6 months from the Job Centre was enough, but now it's different and I've been waiting ages for a home medical, which I had to really push for, but getting ESA and PIP in the meantime. I haven't worked since 2001 and now I'm 59, so not long till pension age. I'm off to Oxford again in april to basically start again. The advice you got from the other two contributors is very sound. I can truly empathise with what you're going through, and you can contact me anytime if you have more queries. Regards, Wayne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.