Neuropathy flare-ups immediately after eating - does anyone else experience this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had small fibre peripheral neuropathy since last November. Since then, it has spread rapidly, and now affects about 75% of my body. I've done every test imaginable, and the cause is still unknown. I'm an otherwise healthy and fit 28-year-old woman.

From the beginning, it has always flared up mainly after meals - and the bigger the meal or the more sugar/carbs it has, the worse the reaction. It always starts about 10 to 15 minutes after eating, and then keeps peaking until it eventually subsides after 1.5 to 2 hours. This coincides perfectly with rises in blood glucose. I have done detailed blood glucose and insulin tests, and am not even anywhere near prediabetic.

What I'm struggling to figure out, is whether the blood sugar spikes are actually causing the damage (even if they're within 'normal' limits), or whether the damage is from something else, and the damaged nerve ending are simply sensitive to increases in blood sugar. 

Does anyone else experience this? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I should also mention that I've been cutting out gluten most grains, sugar, dairy etc for six months already to address potential intolerances, but nothing has helped in the slightest.

• Posted

Hi I'm in a similar situation I woke up with tingling in both feet which spread to my knees then into both hands within 24 hours I've had it none stop without a second break for nearly 21 months I've had every test also including brain and spine mri emg and 3 nerve studies numerous bloods all normal and well in limits mine also seems to flare worse after eating the tingling intensifies, do you have this constant or are there times without any sensation I'm diagnosed with sfn but only by symptoms not biopsy it has driven me insane I'm.otherwise healthy still strong on my legs can feel hot and cold I'm 42

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

Somehow I feel like we've spoken on this platform before...

That spread is extremely quick. It sounds like toxicity to me - did you take any antibiotics, vitamin B6 supplements, etc? Heavy metal toxicity or exposure to toxic mold could also do that. Have you tried cutting out dietary allergens like gluten and dairy? 

Interesting that yours also worsens after eating. I've basically gone on the keto diet now to avoid blood sugar increases as much as possible, but even so, it still happens to a small degree. If I don't eat for many hours, I almost feel symptom-free. Sometimes temperature changes will also set it off though. My symptoms luckily almost entirely disappear at night - no clue why. 

• Posted

Temperature changes always set my neuropathy off especially when it is going to rain.  Hot weather improves it.
  • Posted

Try cutting out sugar and carbs and eat smaller portions.   Sometimes changing your diet can help with neuropathy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.