Neuropathy following ankle fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, I had my sub-talar and navicular fusion in October of 2017 (8 months ago).  The facility used two catheter nerve blocks on my upper thigh.  The blocks are kept in for 4 days post surgery.  They were great however, once they were removed I noticed a numb patch on the top of my foot at the base of my 3-5 toes (top of foot).  This numbness has continued and spread up my leg in the insuing months.  I now have atrophy in my calf and significant sensory loss as well as burning and shooting pain down my calf.  I recently underwent an EMG/NCS which confirmed mild poly neuropathy.  I just started on neurontin and I will be starting on Medanx in the near future.  I can walk but like many of you I still have a limp which causes back pain.  Going down stairs requires use of the railing and uneven surfaces are a NO.  Also, I learned at my last visit that one of the two screws that hold the navicular fusion has broken however, my pain is primarily on the outside (opposite side) of the ankle.  The doctor says that the sub-talar fusion is looking good but that the navicular fusion still has not taken. I would love to hear from others who have had similar experiences and the ultimate outcomes.  Also, if you have had additional treatment that worked for you, please let me konw.  I have previously undergone surgies on both shoulders and on my knee but I must say, this is the worst BY FAR.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am 52 years old had surgery on my right ankle in 2012 with plates and screws  put in I suffer with my right ankle everyday I work driving forklift up and down all day pushing gas and brakes I'm tired of coming home suffering everyday wanting to no if anybody else has been thru this and wondering if I had plates and screws removed if it would help me I been with the company 25 years and would like to work as long as I could just wanting to no if another surgery would help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.