Neuropathy on a 20 hr flight?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, My dad has neuropathy, specifically in his feet, and I wondered if anyone knew and tricks for flying for a 16+ hour flight? We will be flying from Cleveland, Ohio, USA to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Total time flying is around 25 hours but the long flight will be around 17 hours. I know he could get up and walk or take more pain meds but I was curious if anyone knew any other things that would help? If I upgraded him to first class and he got one of the lay flat beds? The trip is a secret (for his and my mom's anniversary) so I don't want to discuss it with him yet, but I will eventually.

Thanks for any help!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

WHAT A WONDERFUL TRIP!!!   Good luck to your family and  have a great time.

Sadly, I dont think theres too much to do about your situation except upgrading to first class....maximizing comfort is a great idea, and I'd load up on those meds....gabapentun works very well for me, although a large dose knoocks me cold. That might not be a bad idea for a 25 hour trip.Neurologia is a bugger whatever the cause, so maing him extra comfortable is about the most you can do.

• Posted

What a lovely gift for your parents. I agree with Tara. I know it’s best for him to elevate his legs. I would also talk with your physician about a water pill for any water retention he most likely will get in legs and feet as that can cause much pain for those with this issue. I deal with neuropathy every day and elevation is a big factor for me. Sending best wishes your way. 
  • Posted

Has he tried capsicum? You can get it in a roll on. It helped my husband a lot when he had neuropathy in his feet. Then he found Cymbalta- worked much better than gabapentin. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.