Neurosurgeons who perform MVDs for TN

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been reading through the posts  from people who have had successful MVD surgery for TN and Nik Patel’s name seems to come up all the time at Bristol. Just wondering if people have received a similar positive experience with Neil Kitchen at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in London?  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello again Sasha

Nope - mine was with Robert McFarlane at Addenbrooke’s Hospital Cambs. But........ I’ve heard of Neil Kitchen before and he was on my original search list when I was looking last year. I wouldn’t have minded going all the way to Nik Patel’s place in Bristol if the need had been so. Robert has done hundreds of these ops so it was good to see a local expert. 

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Hi Big D,

I appreciate that there must be many excellent local experts, however for some reason, it seems to be Nik Patel that gets all the great feedback on the forum.

Sasha

• Posted

Yes indeed - if we didn’t have Robert M here, I would have paid for a private referral meeting in Bristol.  If he decided to go with MVD then we could have done it on NHS of course because my first referral was via them. The same would apply to you if you didn’t want to go for Neil. Are you a bit concerned about him then? 

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

I just can’t find any feedback on the TN ops that he’s done, which is strange, seeing as he’s a very well regarded neurosurgeon. I’ve seen good feedback on other neurological ops, but not TN. But then, as I said earlier, it’s really only Nik Patel who seems to get all the rave reviews. Not quite sure what to make of it. 
    • Posted

The best way is to ask your neurosurgeon directly as to how many MVDs he (and his team) has done per year or over some other period. You could include this within a general enquiry about whether he uses a titanium plate (like mine did) or replaces the bone disk (which I think Nik does). Have you had consultation(s) with your surgeon? Often, his team or head nursing staff are a good source of info. Of course they’ll tell you, they will have nothing to hide. 

Cheers

D

• Posted

I have prayed for a miracle to get rid of this nerve pain. I just watched a video on youtube from a Dr.

He said if you gentle message the opposite side of your  face that the pain is on you will get pain relief. 

It worked!!!!!!!! He said keep doing it until you get relief!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.