Neurosurgeons-why are they so secretive? dla-pip

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

Perhaps secretive is not right word,  obstructive, uncooperative, why don't they explain the whole operation procedure, instead of bit by bit.

I was shown my mri scan level by level  of my cervical spine. It showed disc bulge, erosion and bone spurs growing inside my spinal canal and growing into the spinal cord. I would need at least two operations. One from the front of neck to correct a root nerve affecting my left upper arm,hand and fingers. Then,about  six months later from the back of neck to try to reduce bone spurs inside spinal canal and relieve spinal cord. A much trickier operation with 50/50% chance of paralysis and infection with possible bowel and bladder loss. I agreed to have the operations there and then, even signed the forms of consent.

However, because of many problems I never had the operations. I have asked repeatedly, by letters and phone calls for a medical  description of my cervical stenosis with spondylosis and radiaculopathy  and bone spurs inpinging the spinal cord. But,  each and every reply has only addressed the cervical fusion at c5-c6 level. I phoned his secretary last week politely demanding a full description of my cervical problems which now include full fusion of c4 5 6 7  and bone spurs removal only to be emailed saying that as I require this information for my dla to pip assessment the dwp  must contact him direct requesting this information and it must be addressed to the neurosurgeon personally. I have repeatedly offered to pay the going rate for this information. I had to send the forms off without this crucial evidence.

Mike

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

Right, I have been diagnosed with cervical stenosis and spondylosis with radiocalopathy, along with sciatica. Also malignant melanoma skin cancer, ptsd depression and anxiety, asthma and balance/walking  problems.

I sent in lots of additional information explaining my day to day problems with coping/or not, together with a letter from my gp to support my mental illnesses and lots of letters with results of examinations and tests carried out.

I only hope it's enough-I am now going to calm myself down watching England win 3-1.

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.