Neurupathic pain but my EMG is normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

The past few months I've been having tingling and burning in my feet and legs. Recently I've also been having sharp pains also where it feels like someone is stabbing my legs or feet. It comes and goes but lately has been worse. It gets worse at night or in the mornings after I wake up and also after standing all day at work. All my tests have come back normal. What else could it be? Could it not be something neurological?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds more like neuropathic pain.  Burning, stabbing and tingling sensations are all signs along with numbness. I have numbness, throbbing, stabbiing tingling and sore to touch pain in both arms, fingers and hands.  I was diagnosed based on my symptoms alone; I didn’t need tests. Sometimes tests can show false negative results.  What has your doctor said?  If your doctor still thinks you have neuropathic pain despite normal results, trust your doctor and leave it at that.

Neuropathic pain can be caused by injury, medication, diabetes and shingles.

• Posted

It very well sounds like neuropathy. Have you seen a neurologist or had a ENG done? I would start there if you haven't

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Neuropathy (the same symptoms you have). The neurologist ran all the tests and they were all normal , hence the Idiopathc diagnosis. I blame it on a 2 week regimen of Flagyl I took for a colon infection and within days developed these symptoms. That was 2 years ago and it has not improved but worsened over time. Tests are still normal. 
  • Posted

Yes, i went through a whole bunch of tests from peripheral artery disease to the ENG test and the neurologist concluded that i have polyneuropathy, it has gotten worse over time and some days i can not stand it...
  • Posted

Neuropathic pain is hard to deal with without proper medication and lifestyle changes. Neuropathic pain is almost always chronic. But avoiding stress and getting lots of rest can help tremendously. I have the same symptoms as you but I also have the same burning in my face. I take Lyrica (pregablin) and it helps deal with it. But eliminating all stress is what will help the most and taking your mind off the pain is what helps me the most. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.