Never ending misery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, being new here I hope I'm in the right spot. I'm 55 & everything has been getting worse over the last 18months since giving up smoking but through my forties periods starting changing, I haven't had a period for about 11 months now. I've read many forums regarding the "the change"  & found that I'm not the only one going through hell. These weird body sensations, feelings of low blood sugar etc & the anxiety, spikes in blood pressure OMG is it ever going to end, everything I do or don't do is dependant on how I feel, I'm almost now housebound,  just when I think I might feel normal( sort of) & go out this wave of scary sensations come over me...I have to eat, I have to go home, I end up in a pool of crazy tears. Because of family history HRT is out also to as I take blood pressure meds. My Doc says it's all hormones, my blood tests have always been normal, I'm taking Vitamin B complex & have tried magnesium....aaarrgggh I want this to end, feels like this is going to take me out! Thanks ladies for 'listening' to my woes. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am 34 and going through what you describe apart from the going out bit, I am really hoping this all gets easier as I want to feel like me again so I can enjoy my life, this is a really good forum and so glad I found it so feel free to post your 'woes' as that it what I do :-)

• Posted

Do hope you're doing ok, is great to have somewhere to go & vent. Everyday I hope it's going to be the day that all this stops, oh to feel normal again & just do what I what without my every move being determined on how I'm feeling. Take care
  • Posted

Sorry your feeling so bad. You are in the right place. And you are not alone. Ive been in perimenopause eight years now in 48. Yes there are times I didn't think I would make it. some days are debilitatingsad(

I dont take hrt but I did go on an AD mirtazapine in November. It did help with the anxiety and depression but unfortunately I gained weight so im now trying to wean off. I pray a lot if it wasn't for God and this site I just dont know. I work have five grown up kids am married and have a grandchild due in four weeks! !!! Work is really hard some days when I dont want to get out of bed. You will get lots of advice from other ladies here. They have helped me so much stay strong. Xxx

• Posted

Hi, is reassuring to know that other women feel the same, I was thinking I was the only one with these life zapping symptoms & often thought I had something terminal. As I said in another reply, this menopausal beast is all consuming & left me feeling like a blubbering mess 😫 but one thing I still have is my warped sense of humour, I look in the mirror when I need a good laugh LoL. All the best, congrats with the new grandchild. 
  • Posted

So sorry you feel like this ... Like Mjchelle says, we have to ride it through. I'm 53 now and my periods stopped when I was 46.... Been absolutely horrendous! I too thought I was on my way out! It does get better.... I had to give up work & my doctors are rubbish. Don't take HRT but am on Sertraline 50 mg daily now 2 Years this Oct since I went on them, life saver!! I too lost all confidence, anxiety through the roof and my symptoms we'll take too long to ne them but much the same as every other woman on here it's been some journey!! Things are better but just when you think you are on a roll up pops s dizzy spell, anxiety or imbalance, drop in sugar level or just spaced out!! No one believes you cause thry can't see it!!! Yesterday, the first in ages I took a dizzy spell then clammy then cold and felt rubbish for the rest of the day ended up on the bed where I felt "safe" what's that all about I ask myself !!! Once a career woman and now just trying to get through day to day & week to week without going anywhere on my own.... 😧. It's just unbelievable.... I'm sure my teenage children look at me & think what's happened to our mum.... Our confident mum, the one that knows how to do everything!!! Makes me very sad, hurt & useless! I tell myself... It can only get better. Ps I have an amazing husband 💞
    • Posted

Do hope you're doing ok, this all consuming menopausal beast sure knows how to zap life out of us! Can relate to the long list of symptoms, name a symptom, I've had it or having it....when will it end, I used to be a get up & go person but now it seems I'm reduced to this woozy wonky flushed blubbering mess rolleyes  on the up side, the only thing that hasn't been zap from me is my warped sense of humour...I look in the mirror when I need a good laugh LoL. Take care
  • Posted

Hello Bobbins 

i am like you.. Had a 10 years peri( natural ) with vits ..

i am 20 months post meno now age 51 next month.

my flushes returned severely 20+ a day last year when i was where your are 11 months post meno.

i have had shingles 3 times since xmas .. ( got it now) 

i have felt dreadful for months.. i too cant take HRT orally and dont wish too.

i only use HRT estriol via vagina for dryness thats been a real problem..

but... Having always refused anti depressants ... 

I have now startes low dose Escitalopram 10mg ... Not for depression as i am not, hence low does, but its the HRT alternative for hot flushes and symptoms, it calms the body ... 

i have just started them and for first week will take just 5mg so no bosy shocks ... 

my doctor thinks as such a long peri, no HRT my body is like a car with no fuel, and needs to try Escitalopram low dose to ease and chill the body ..

I am getting desperate now as its affexting my life so much, anxiety, and no energy, severe flushes etc 

Look up Escitalopram for menopause low dose 

( HRT alternative ) 

good luck hun..

jay x

• Posted

Hi, how are you feeling? never thought I'd end up in a crazy hormonal mess, is really hard to cope some days. Will look into those tablets, thanks smile I wake early with horrible anxiety feelings & bp spikes, scary! Does all this end?  Keep well, take care.
  • Posted

Hi, im 50 and had a wobbly moment in April, my periods regular as clockwork every 28 days, been like that for 2-3 years now. before that every 34-36 days.  Then in April had period beginning April then another one 13th April that lasted 10 days! never thought it would end.....  I have never felt so anxious ever!!!! the feeling all consuming! i did not know what to do with myself.  Went to doctors about something else and they were going to refer me so did bp test she said that it was rather high (not suprising really) i was anxious.  I then had to through a battery of tests, ecg, bloods, and bp monitor which by the way is awful to drag around with you.  Going off every half an hour, i was just getting more and more stressed.  Anyhow my point, i mentioned to the Doctor as i had read that hormones can cause BP spikes, the nurse said it wouldnt affect it that much.  Strange as my BP in 2013 was perfect!  I know it can go up, by i am not overweight and outside of the hormonal stuff, i would not say im stressy Then the nurse said that looking at me, she would not be suprised if it was high, well on saying that, suprise suprise.  Anyhow they have told me i have mild hypertension and have to go back in 3-4 months and get it checked again!..and yes i do think it is hormone related even they would say that! I did not really get any help re Peri, they told me i am from blood tests which i know are notoriously hard to read as hormones fluctuating so much, but i was in the middle of my 10 day period, so that must have affected it possibly thats my thinking anyhow.  Im glad i found this site and it is very interesting to see that so many of us have high bp!....and we are all really anxious! I have been taking magnesium for over 25 years, previously to deal with bad PMS i get each month.  The feeling of anxiety is the same as the magnified version i get the day before my period,  stressed to the hilt.  I have mentioned that i have been taking Agnus Castus, extremely antient herb been used for centuries apparently.  It seems to be working it is supposed to regulate hormones.  So far i have not had anymore anxious moments just a few here and there but on the whole no.  I am now waiting to see if i get another period, been over 28 days since last one now.  Have no idea if when it will happen or not at all, im hoping its stopped!  There are some foods you can eat to combat all this, just read up on the pro and cons first, they phytoestrogen foods, if you look on the internet you can get a list of them, Green Tea, for example dark chocolate.  Diet & excercise can help and change the way we feel i noticed a difference as was trying to change it to get bp down.  Sorry this is a bit of an essay!!!
    • Posted

Hello, just read your essay LoL do hope you're feeling ok, can relate, I'm a stresser/worrywart & even though I think I'm relaxed my body somehow feels tense. I've tried some natural tablets, magnesium, Bcomplex vitamins but because of BP meds there are things I can't take, my BP can range 134-150/83-95 usually when it spikes I feel flushed & woozy....just want all this to stop, I eat well, walk when possible & as for trying to stay positive...well, some days it's near impossible when everything seems unrelenting ggrrrr rolleyes Take care & keep well 
  • Posted

Hello, sorry to read your suffering. It really comes down to listening to your body and of cause finding a good hormone presialising GP. My story is as follows. Oestrogen dominant, brought on by stress, this increases cortisol which then effects hormones and thyroid. I am on progesterone , t3 for thyroid and DIM to decrease oestrogen levels. It's been a balancing game. I found that I wasn't taking enough progesterone so felt it wasn't working. I now increase it depending on symptoms. Anxiety I take more as it calms me down, due to the stress I have sore muscles so I take paca,, it's slow release and gives me back muscle strength eand a clear brain. I found m brain fog was the increase in blood sugar levels. I was waking up shaking and highly anxious for no reason. So I am glucose lowering tablets. It all sound onpverwlmjng but it's a band aid that's working for now. If you use progesterone increase it yo more then what is stated. If your body needs it then see if it makes you function better. It a bit if hit and miss and juggling. To support my stressed cortisol, it's highest in the morning so eat a very high protein breakfast, this feeds the cortisol and stops it eating into calcium...  Have 2 eggs with veggies, keep a no sugar diet, eat lots of greens and introduce herbal tea and essential oils. They will work a treat. If you need anti anxiety tabs to get you thru do it, calm down then look for alternative meds..... Keeping calms keeps your hormones happier. Good luck...
  • Posted

Hi Bobbin059

Feel for yu especially the way yur feeling you explain all what I've been experiencing

Crying shaky not wanting go out feel spaced out don't feel normal anymore feel like a robot just going through the motions can't wait for bedtime to come round as I only feel safe there terrible feeling

Hope you feel well soon x

• Posted

Hi how are you doing? all this oozy woozy wonky wobbly(had a bit of a chuckle)really gets just too much but we somehow carry as best as possible. It all passes I'm told but when?! I'm not a very patient person LoL oh to be normal again. Do take care, wish you well.
  • Posted

Hi I am 62 and started the menopause at 50, Worce parts I found was sweats, lack of confidence, depression and not sleeping, in the early days I took natural medication like black cohosh and sage which helped the flushes and eventually started on fluoxetine from my dr for depression which helped a lot, just having a site like this helps as we are all in the same boat and don't feel like we are going mad, one thing for sure ...it does get easier! Take carexx
    • Posted

Hi

When i went to see Gp mine was 166/100 not good.  Thats how anxious i was, oh dear.  She has told me to go back again in 3-4 months to see if improved otherwise im on meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.