Never ending misery of Bartholin's curse

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just what does a bursting Bartholin's abscess do to a vaginal wall? I have had three ops - one to remove the gland, a second to remove abscessed material not removed in the first op and a third to remove a sinus formed after the 2nd op. None have worked - I still have an unpleasant and depressing discharge. Does anyone know if anyone is researching this wretched gland and its putrid legacy?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

after problems with bartholin cyst i got very depressed and frightened. 

I had a lot of discarge a white thing . I feel less frightened now and it has lessen a lot.

I went to doctor and gave me medicine for this but it would do nothing,

Bartholin cyst can make us very frightened and our feelings do crazy things to our body .

So it needs a lot of work to stop worrying and get over these experiences.

i am trying myself but still have problems . 

Hope the best for you . 

• Posted

Elizabeth, I feel your pain and I also agree with spin's reply. I was looking up home remedies because I don't want to return to have another incision / drain since I'm not in pain. However, I do not like the lump, which seems to get larger when I'm stressed and/or if I have sex with certain brands of condoms. For example, some have lubricant or spermicides and I've found that it acts as an irritant because I will see the side where I've had 2 [prior] incisions/drainings swell. It will go away if I discontinue the brand and avoid any physical stimulation to the area in about a week. I think, since the gland secretes fluid, it will become "clogged" easily once you've had the opening drained.

I think the discharge will subside as you begin to feel better because, as with anything that causes anxiety, the less you fixate, the less you notice every tiny physiological change. When I can feel a difference in "symmetry" - sorry, I can't think of a better term - I become hyper-vigilant and ANY changes [i.e. discharge changing over the course of a menstrual cycle] become worrisome for me.  

I just read a thread on here where they discuss serrapeptase supplements and various sprays [silica spray, witch hazel, green tea oil, apple cider vinegar, etc...].

I'm going to look into serrapeptase and some of the topical sprays people have suggested. 

Hang in there - 

• Posted

dear elizabeth,

have you thougth of having a marsupilazation? i have visited a lot of doctors and told me it has 90 % percent success. 

but the cyst must be quite big which mine isnt at the moment.

i have a small cyst about 2 cm and doctors tell me it shouldnt pain.

i am afraid to have sex because i fear i will have an absess again or be in pain during intercourse.

I dont know what to do . I had it drained the first time and the second i had antibiotics. i did a lot of sitz baths with apple cinedar and applied levander oil with tee trea and it drained on its own . I did an MRI that showed the cyst. after it drained on its own it is very small since but i didnt try to have sex .

Please tell me if you  have any advice because i dont know anybody close to tell me what i should do and doctors say it is nothing serious but i can not handle another absess near soon .

Thank you in advance

• Posted

Also, these glands secrete natural lubricant....so any time you are aroused, they will fill up more and more.  I sadly know this from experience. I had 1 lanced and vowed I will never do so again! The pain from the lidocaine shot and the subsequent cutting and squeezing was so bad I came off the table. Any others I have had I just put hot compresses and hot baths until it pops on its own. Good luck to anyone suffering with this horrible affliction!
    • Posted

Mine won't pop on their own, but I think it is because I'm not entirely sure where to apply pressure. The first incision resulted in a botched drain and i had to go to urgent care. The doc at urgent care said the prior doctor made the incision too high and caused some scarring. I'm wondering if this is why I'm more susceptible to inflammation at different times? Almost as though there is a block or barrier... Thoughts?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.