Never felt so low

Posted , 4 users are following.

had fybromyaglia for many years and have been managing quite well recently .i received a letter from dwp ,a interview under caution . So I've been ,it was horrible and I was a wreck , apparently I've been over paid in esa and I didn't inform them in a change in circumstances ,my partner went back to work and my mother died last year after a long illness and I took charge of her finances before she died . I had 22 thousand pounds in my account to pay thr grandchildren and to pay her funeral bills etc . dwp say I have committed fraud and are investigating me and may be taken to court resulting in a sentence and a criminal record . I'm terrified a feel suicidal again carnt function or eat sleep etc . I also had to cope with a nasty divorce last year at the same time as my mothers death ,it has been the worst time of my life . 

I told the interviewers I would pay the money back as I have now got my divorce settlement through and I had already informed them that I had received this ,so al my benefits had ceased anyhow . Absolutely terrified I might go to prison ,I've never been in trouble in my life for anything , not even a parking ticket , 

feeling desperate ........

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mags, So sorry to hear of all your troubles. It never rains, but it pours heh! Well, don't build mountains when it could just be a mole hill. Obviously they will figure out that you are not some kind of willful criminal. As you say, you have no past record of any offence, not even a traffic ticket. You must stand up for yourself and explain matters to them. They are, after all, people with some understanding, not just machines with a function. Explain yourself clearly to them and don't hesitate to defend your situation. Do you have any friends or know anyone that is familiar with the law? Do you have a lawyer acquaintance? Or does someone in your family know a lawyer or someone who works in a law office? Know your rights and do your research. Don't despair. I am certain that things will not be as bad as you think. I know of others who were accidentally overpaid at their work until it was discovered. This was unbeknownst to them. They were honest people with no past offencess, and things were finally set straight and it was eventually docked from their subsequent pays. So I am sure you can work something out with them and they will understand that you did not deliberately deceive them. But please talk this out with someone you trust. Get some input from people you know and don't hesitate to speak up and defend yourself. Don't stress about it, just take steps to clear matters up Mags. Worry will do you no good and it will just make you more unwell. Things are never as dark as we imagine them to be. You will be able to sort this out. One step at a time. Have faith. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words  it helps a lot .i do know a lawyer that I could discuss things with ,which I will do shortly and yes I must stand up for myself and be strong . I think it hasn't helped that my medication was changed that many last year and I didn't know weather I was coming or going smile 
    • Posted

Good I am glad you know someone. Knowledge is everything girl! You will get through this. Heh, you have been through many trials already and you came through each one. I am sure it will turn out well and completely different than what you surmise. You will be better prepared next time. You have the Truth on your side Mags. Chin up. Just take care of your health. 
  • Posted

Omg that's terrible for you, even a telephone call can put me over the edge, just relax, you didn't do this knowingly, in my opinion that's not fraud. You will be fine, just admit what you had and they are easier to work with you, if you deny anything that's when they start being nasty, I'm so sorry your going through all this, but you are strong, you've proved this, so just keep remembering that you did not do this on purpose, similar thing happened to my sister recently and because she admitted the pension she was getting they told her to pay it back at 5 pounds a week. Good luck
  • Posted

So sorry to hear this Mags, you must be feeling so anxious about everything, but try not to worry. Worry is a useless emotion as however much you worry, it won't change anything, it just wears you down. Wise words from magpie, and gentle hugs from me. Be strong. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.