Never known pain like it!!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed Trimethropin for a UTI. 5 day course. Day 4 I started to get an aching back which over a couple of days crept up my spine and by Saturday morning I couldn't move my neck.

Sunday my left knee was so painful I could barely walk so went to out of hours surgery and he diagnosed a Baker's Cyst and sent me home with some anti imflammatory painkillers.

Monday the right knee did the same so I went to a&e where they said they could see no reason for it but my white blood cell count was double what it should be so wanted to see me the next day. At this point I could barely walk as both feet were swollen and knees unbearably painful.

Tuesday back to a&e, again they could see no reason for the sudden inflammation which had now also started affecting me wrists and thumb. Made me an appt at Rheumatology which I went to today.

They are still stumped but seem to rule out an allergic reaction to Trimethropin. I'm not convinced, I am a usually healthy 35 year old I shouldn't be in this state. They have now prescribed me Steroids which I do not want to take if I can help it.

I feel every sympathy with anyone else going through this and would appreciate anyones comments.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

me too im in so much pain from taking this,dont know what to do,my doc just says im llergic to it wait it out
  • Posted

Hi Patchwork, how you feeling now? I'm on day 7 of the steroids and still on painkillers but it doesn't seem to be getting that much easier.
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry about your terrible reaction to Trimethoprim. Go with your gut feeling if you believe it's the antibiotic and get a second opinion from a qualified doctor who practises complementary therapies. I had a bad reaction 3 years ago from trimethoprim and no NHS doctor believed me, and I'm still suffering but have gone done the complementary route. My advice would be don't give your immune system any more drugs (chemicals) to sort out. Steroids on top of a bad reaction to an antibiotic may not be a good combination. I am not a medical person. I am just letting you know that I had no major health problems till I took 5 tablets of trimethoprim and I haven't been well since. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your post rainbow. I'm now in week 4 and the pain is slightly more bearable but then I am still on 2 strong painkillers a day and 30mgs of steroids so I suppose it should be. I can't help but feel that all these pills are doing is masking the pain rather than sorting out the cause of the problem. Am due to see Rheumatologist again Monday so will let you know how I get on.

Can you let me know a little bit about your situation if possible? What happened initially that caused you to take Trimethoprim? I just wonder how close your story is to mine.

Thanks x

• Posted

Have sent private message - check \"my space\"
  • Posted

Hi Rainbow,

Nothing in my inbox?

• Posted

Hi, Rara,

I've sent another private message - if you don't get it - I'll post something on the main one.

• Posted

Finally the doctors have agreed the problems I have must be down to this nasty nasty antibiotic. I am getting a little better every day but am still taking painkillers and steroids and joints are very stiff and sore but at least they finally admit it must have been Trimethoprim.

These antibiotics need to be taken off the market if this website is anything to go by, just too many people are having adverse reactions in my opinion. What can we do????

• Posted

@\"Rara\"

I had the same experience. I was prescribed Trimethoprim for an UTI. I started with the 1st pill Monday morning i had to have 2per day for 3 days.

The next day i work up with a very light pain on my left knee. By 5pm it got worse by 10pm i could bearly walk and the pain was awful. I took a paracetamol went to bed also took my antibiotic it just got worse. didn't sleep all night. i knew something was wrong but What??? i went to A&E the next day after all kind of test and an x-tray they could not work it out. I told them that i thought it might be the Trimethorprim. Of course they looked at me as if i was crazy and said to me that i must have hurt myself without realising it.

He even ask me to carry on taking the antibiotic. which of course i didn't.

I left the hospital with set of Painkiller. in the afternoon i was prescrib to take more painkillers which i didn't as i wanted to see if the pain would be back. As expected the pain had vanished the same way it came. My knee was a bit sore but i could walk normaly again and by the next day i did not feel a thing.

For me they is no doubt the Trimethoprim was the reason.

Never again....

I think I was lucky to stop it straightaway

• Posted

Hi,

I thought this 'headline' looked familiar. As you can see I still pop onto this site to see how people are faring on this disgusting drug.

I am so, so sorry to hear you have had a similar experience to mine all those months ago. I hope you're now on the mend. If not all I can say is it will get better, it will take time but it will get better. I was referred here, there and everywhere by the NHS to try and find out what had caused my flare up as they, like you local NHS totally dismissed this drug as being a potential problem. They came to the conclusion I had arthritis and put me on so many drugs I didn't know what day it was. I would recommend if they refer you to a Rheumatologist that you discuss your concerns about it possibly being Trimethoprim before they start loading you with drugs.

I am now pretty much 12 months on and apart from the occasional twinge in my left knee and niggling back ache I have no lasting problems that I am aware of. I would suggest that you have to be very patient as this will not go away over night but will slowly work its way out of your body.

Get well soon and if you need me just drop me a line.[quote:0ba2f1f582=\"about me \"]@\"Rara\"

I had the same experience. I was prescribed Trimethoprim for an UTI. I started with the 1st pill Monday morning i had to have 2per day for 3 days.

The next day i work up with a very light pain on my left knee. By 5pm it got worse by 10pm i could bearly walk and the pain was awful. I took a paracetamol went to bed also took my antibiotic it just got worse. didn't sleep all night. i knew something was wrong but What??? i went to A&E the next day after all kind of test and an x-tray they could not work it out. I told them that i thought it might be the Trimethorprim. Of course they looked at me as if i was crazy and said to me that i must have hurt myself without realising it.

He even ask me to carry on taking the antibiotic. which of course i didn't.

I left the hospital with set of Painkiller. in the afternoon i was prescrib to take more painkillers which i didn't as i wanted to see if the pain would be back. As expected the pain had vanished the same way it came. My knee was a bit sore but i could walk normaly again and by the next day i did not feel a thing.

For me they is no doubt the Trimethoprim was the reason.

Never again....

I think I was lucky to stop it straightaway[/quote:0ba2f1f582]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.