nevous about asking doctor

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi, can anyone tell me how i should approach this subject with my doctor.i only go if im really ill and still always feel like they think im wasting thier time so am nevous of what they will say.im around 3.5/4 stone over weight but im tall and the weight is sort of evenly spread so when i have mentioned it in the past they just look at me as if im fishing for compliments.im a size 16/18 and am 32.i eat pretty much whats recommended for the orlistat diet with the odd take away n buttered toast at my fellas house.the bad things i do eat arnt too bad or often.i try to get in as much excersize as i can but im a single mum and full time student so its hard.i would really like to try this but am afraid my doctor will just laugh and tell me to do more excersize.i would just buy alli but due to being single mom/student im really skint and if its possible to get a prescription it would be good.will they tell me im not big enough to get this medicine?i feel like a fool just asking but iv been trying to lose this weight since my son was born 6 years ago and it just wont budge.

thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

go on a BMI (body mass index) calculator online where you enter your height and weight, the doctors normally only perscribe if you have a BMI of 30+ which i believe is the borderline between overweight and obese.

if you are over 30 on the BMI go to the doctors and tell them how you have tried many things with no sucess and that you have heard of orlistat and would like to try it.

if your BMI is under 30 then they still may have something to offer you and if not it might be worth adopting the eating plan that we on orlistat have, to lower your fat intake and increase exercise because even without the tablet removing 1/3 of consumed fat you will still be having a much lower fat diet than a 'normal' person, a female typically eats 70g fat a day and we on orlistat have 30g which should make some difference with or without the tablets.

good luck - and dont worry about seeing the doctors, its not a waste of their time if this issue affects you in any way

• Posted

I agree with Sparkles, as that's what I did checked my BMI and found I was over the required amount and just went to the Dr and asked him for help to lose weight.

Said I had done all the normal WW and SW stuff and nothing had worked. He weighed me checked my height and immediately prescribed me Orlistat.

Also I didn't see my normal doctor, was actually at the Dr's for an eye infection and just thought I would ask as had been thinking about it. If you are unhappy about seeing your regular Dr then just see if you can see another.

Keep us informed on how things are going

• Posted

thanks for the advice.my bmi is 29 but i will ask anyway.i do eat a very healthy diet generally but lose it when im due on and have literally no control over my desire for chocolate at that time,its like i feel its medicinal.never eat it the rest of the time.i think the fear of the side effects would help me stay strong n not go, \"well, iv eaten well today, 1 giant dollop of mayo wont hurt\"..... mayo is a weakness of mine but it sounds like it would just go straight thru me with orlistat.that would put me off! :lol:
  • Posted

helmans extra light mayo is about 0.5g per tablespoon i think but it doesnt taste as nice, fine if puttin in sarnie or something like tuna mayo etc
  • Posted

you have to remember thought that Orlistat doesn't stop the feelings of hunger like some tablets can it just gives bad side effects if you over do it. You can have chocolate as long as you stay with the parameters of the fat intake.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.