Nevro HF10 spinal cord stimulator charging / battery issues tips and tricks

Posted , 54 users are following.

I had a Nevro HF10 stimulator implanted a few weeks ago (and scheduled for a second stimulator to be installed in 30 days). I am amazed how little tech support is available on this product LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of sales data.... but no FAQS about how this or that works....or what to do if... Found some unhappy people, but no tips and tricks to using so thought i would start a topic and ask some questions from others.I was not aware before surgery how much changing and programing there would be to find the right settings after surgery was over (I thought that was what the trial is for).So I have a million newby questions that I cant seem to find online answers about.I'll start with three, and maybe others will have things to share or add re: best practices. 1) I didnt charge for last few days (bad boy). I was hurting worse today than usual, and wondered if i had let my battery go dead. My remote showed 1 blinking battery bar. Does that mean it was dead? Or just close to dead? 2) is there any logic that if it was extra low (but not dead) that is was working not as well as it does when fully charged? (or is it an all or nothing benefit)3) before I charged when it was deadly low, it felt like the battery/transmitter box implanted was burning me. Is it possible that when low and working extra hard to produce power that it can get hot (like maybe a cellphone would? )

6 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had the Nevro since December 2016

I have so much back, hip, feet and leg pain I have trouble walking without it

It relieves pain from my hips and legs the lower back and relieves the pain from the neuropathy in my feet

you can have an MRI I have had 4 done since 2016

I recently had 1 done 3 days ago and

between laying on the hard surface and having the Nevro off when I got off the table my hips and legs hurt so much I could hardly walk

I have great difficulty walking without the unit

Dr McRoberts recommended it and implemented it.

The day before the implementation I could only walk 1200 steps before the pain stopped me. 2 days after the trial implant I did 5000 steps with a reduction of 80% of the pain

The technicians at Nevro are amazing. they will return your calls in 24 hours

I've received replacement remotes and charging units within 24 hours

if I need the unit adjusted they will do it within 1 or 2 days

they have adjusted it more than a dozen times

they now have a new program that has high and low combined and it works incredible for both my back and my legs and the neuropathy in my feet

• Posted

Mark, I am delighted to find folks like you out there, in particular because you have some of the same disappointments since I had my HF10 system implanted almost two years ago. I had a long career in R&D for a highly sophisticated company, and I am totally frustrated, like you, because the promotionals drown out the need for solid mechanistic understanding of how HF10 works or how to improve pain killing performance. I get sporadic short (3-5 days) of significantly improved comfort, but never an explanation of what causes improvement or failure. I occasionally stumble across correlations between setting parameters and comfort, but I am convinced that Nevro simply does not understand their own invention. I offered to help them understand and optimize the system, but got no reply,

I am very interested in airing tips with others about things that work from other registrants---perhaps you've already tried. Any ideas? I have been summarily unsuccessful at learning from the Nevro representatives, I think because they do not know what I need to know. HF10 has all the characteristics of a product that was commercialized before it was ready.

Best, and good luck in defeating your pain.

• Posted

Agreed. the way they have you track and report pain is fundamentally flawed; very point-in-time with no consideration for activity surrounding any change.

• Posted

I just had, four weeks ago, the Nevro HF10 implanted and although I have not experienced any type of relief as of today my biggest complaint is the charging process. Can someone please help, it takes 20 - 30 minutes for me to get the charger to link up and then it does not hold the signal. My rep has sent me out a new charge but I am having the same issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Posted

it takes time to find the "sweet spot" for charging. It is NOT directly over the battery in your back it is usually a little off to the side of it. the process gets easier after a while.

• Posted

I am also having problems with my charging box that is attached to the paddle. I went to recharge my stimulator tonight and the box showed no power. It has been plugged in all the time so I don't know why I have no power leading to my paddle. Has anyone had this happen before? I have had my stimulator about 1 1/2 years and this is the first this this has happened. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help please?

• Edited

we have had no tech support at all for several months. they only called a couple times shortly after the surgery then crickets.

we've managed to figure it out so my wife gets a degree of relief. just looking for any tips on charging. do to the placement of the battery we have a lot of difficulty getting it to stay connected during charging and have to literally hold it in place by hand . any tips ?

• Posted

it took me a while to get into the swing. I have two nevro stim units installed. both batteries are at my belt line on lower back ...i charge while I'm sitting up in bed watching TV at night so I can get it positioned and then can stay still for a time while charging. For me, that belt thing that came with it was worthless....i have to lay against it so that there is enough pressure to push against it to register. i also have a little squishy bean bag type neck pillow that I sometimes put between the charging plate and my bed to lean against if I'm having a particularly hard day getting it to register. But mostly I've been doing it so long now that I find the sweet spot on the first try. Good Luck!

• Posted

why were u scheduled for another in 30 days? I also had one occasion where I had a burning sensation. it was only once. got mind a month and a half ago. At trial I had 1 good day. After that I barely have relief at all, if ever.

• Edited

sorry for delayed response....i had a 2nd unit installed as well. 1 cervical placement and 1 for lumbar placementits been a few years now for me, and I definately know they give me support/relief because when I forget to charge and let them get low power I notice a difference.i get a little ortho pain relief, but get huge peripheral neuropathy nerve pain relief. Not magic, but every little bit helps.

• Edited

Hi

I am sitting here having just returned from having the Nevro pain stimulator?/remover- removed from my back. This was my second stimulator and it didn't work after two years of trying to figure it out. I am now ready to say that that invention has a long way to go and maybe that way of getting rid of pain is not a possibility.

My first stimulator numbed the pain but I couldn't move my legs where I wanted them to go, as if it numbed the pain but I had lost the message that was supposed to go to my brain to say move forward. The second one, the nevro did nothing. The pain was there and I could not move it, convince myself I wasn't feeling it, could not walk without excruciating discomfort which seemed worse than before I got it in.

.Why don't these things work. I think the brain is not connected to the messages it is supposed to be sending or something is not working to make the brain work with it. I tried very hard to talk to myself to tell myself that I was having no pain. I thought I was doing something wrong. I got the nevro so I could go on vacation to Europe and when you are on vacation you have to walk to see the sights, well that took care of he walking. When I returned I turned off the nevro and started trying to walk. I got the best kind of bone supplements I could and started downing them. I waited for the time of the day I had he least amount of discomfort and started walking. At first it was hell but I was determined not to give up walking. I noticed after awhile that I was getting better but only when I was well rested and only for an hour. I have stretched this time to mornings, cant get any more than that, am using weights now light, weights, treadmill, bicycle and elliptical but don't push myself to edge, a little way but not the edge or I suffer. I use a lot of ice, sometimes a warm heating pad. I don't think I will get any better. An occasional pain reliever helps, nothing that is really bad for my body.I will stay here, corona has not helped, but I haven't given up. I work out at home instead of the gym. My glutes are what I pay the most attention to, since my sciatica is gone very bad in rt leg and close to that in left. Good luck all of you who suffer from this feel your way out as best as you can. Pay close attention to what works and do it. Exercise is the best thing we have going for us. Has anyone heard of neuro cognitive behavioral institute. I am checking them out now. Best to all ...get thru corona.

• Edited

i have had an internal simulator for 8 years however the new Nevro High stimulator is way different than the old. They actually work and yes sometimes the tech is hard to reach but much better than Medtronics any day of the week. you have to find the sweet spot which is where the writing is on the paddle. Only one bar is almost dead i charge every other night and it takes about 30 mins. i am trying to get a piggy back for my cervical because this high stimulator afforded me the luxury of getting off morphine and oxy. Also it is not like the older models it takes about 4 days for the change to occur. i hope you got the information you were looking for. i am very pleased and just cant say enough about the high stimulation versus the old vibrating one that was a hit and miss, i now take nothing but gabapentin and hope to be off that when i get my piggy back! Good Luck!

• Posted

i forgot to charge my stimulator. i have zero lights how do I now recharge stimulator?

• Posted

just settle and charge...if its dead it will take a long time to charge the first two bars

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.