New accident after accident nearly 2 years ago

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 68 and nearly two years ago, I was involved in a slight accident which caused me terrible whiplash with which I am still suffering and receiving physiotherapy for a very painful neck. The phsyio had started me on exercises last week to strengthen my shoulders as the neck exercises hadn't really done anything.

Yesterday, I fell forward off a theatre stage (I am into amdram) and went 'splat' straight down onto my front. In the last split second before I hit the floor, I remember thinking that my chin was going to hit the floor first, and possibly damage my mouth, teeth and jaw (I already had a bad jaw from a fall many years ago) so I somehow pulled my head up slightly and managed to avoid that (not sure what it did to my bad neck, though). Yesterday, the effect didn't seem too bad, though had aching thighs, upper arms, painful knees (I already have arthritis in both knees), pain in right ankle and my upper back and upper left arm were painful as well as a painful knock on my elbow bone.

Today, my lower back (on both sides) is very heavy and painful, and everything aches and aches. I have arthritis in my right hip and back anyway, and don't know what this accident has done to me. I didn't get any medical attention as we are in the middle of a theatre production and couldn't spare the time, to be honest. Today, I have had to do more rehearsals for the show next weekend, and found it really difficult to stay on my feet as I was aching so much so had to keep sitting down.

Two questions, really.

1. Is this just a question of letting my body heal or might I have done further damage to my back, neck or hips? Should I see a doctor or just 'wait and see'?
  2. Should I be doing the shoulder exercises that I have been given by the physio. for the original whiplash injury, while recovering from this? (It's difficult to get hold of her in between appointments so I might have to leave messages.)

Many thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If your hurting then its obvious you should get some medical attention, you could have done unknown damage and not realize it till its too late and you have done more damage.

• Posted

Yeah usually rest and ice and heat packs.

Whiplash usually goes, spinal or neck injuries will be bruising that needs to fade.

And in general a weak body spot should always be compensated with strengthening the surrounding muscles.

Wait for an xray or an mri before determining what to do next

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.