New Active Crohns

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello to all of you.

Ok so here I go, in 1978 I had been diagnosed with Crohns I was only 21 but very sick and did not know anything about this disease. I had my colon completely removed and have an illeostomy. In the yr 2000 was placed on Pentasa. I have been in remission for several years, until recently. I had some blood clots I Feb 2016, placed on Xarelto. My family physician sent me to see my Gastrologist due to real low hemoglobin wanted to make sure there was no internal bleeding. At that time I was experiencing some abdominal pain but not anything that was serious. My Gastrologist performed endoscopy to make sure I wasn't bleeding. He said he wanted to do a colonoscopy, He then did a pill cam study, then next came a small bowel series, the results are Active Crohns with ulcers and strictures. I still have some uncomfortable abdominal pain which seems to have gotten worse In the last month or so. Gastrologist says that Pentasa no longer working and he would like to start me on humira. What I would like to know is if any of you can give me pros and cons about their experience with this drug before I make the decision to go on this. Thanks for reading and replies.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I was on humria pen injections they didn't help my crohn's flare up. It might help you.

• Posted

Thank you Stephanie. Did you have any side effects from humira. How long were you on it
    • Posted

Sorry for spelling your name wrong. You know smart phone want to correct me Stephaney.
  • Posted

Hi Sandra

I've been on Humira for 18months and although seemed like a massive decision at the time, it's actually been ok. First treatment in 25years that has actually helped. I've had 4 surgeries over the years and am desperate to avoid anymore. A few little side effects, but disease calmer. I approached the decision with a ' won't know unless I try' attitude and glad now that I did. 

I'm about to switch to Vedolizumab as Humira isn't working deep enough.....but I'm going into it with an open mind. 

Good luck, it is a big decision and one that you have to be ok with. 

Hannah

• Posted

Thank you IndieHannah, and I will pray that you experience healing with the new drug you are going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.