New! Advice?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I am new to the forum. Ive had HS since I was 14, I am 18 going on 19 in a few weeks. Does anyone have any advice that has helped their boils? I have tried many antibiotics, some helped for a short period of time, but only for such a short period. My doctor prescribed me Humira, and I am very afraid of taking it, as I have a weak immune system and I react to everything. I am very against taking it, but my mom suggest I just try it and see how it goes. I noticed that i started getting boils the same time my doctor told me I had severe Anemia, so i have been taking supplements recently hoping that it will help soon. I read that changing diets have helped a lot of people, and I am trying to cut out sugar and diary since thats what I Consume the most but its really hard. It is really hard not to give up, Ive been dealing with this for quite a while, and ive always just "got through it" but recently its getting worse. I dropped out of college, I cant work, I cry every other night, and I leave the house about once or twice the month. Its even gotten to the point that I had considered my own life. I am trying hard not to give up, and it gives me some comfort knowing that I am not alone. Has anyone had anything that has given them relief for more than just a couple of weeks?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Do you eat chocolate, or a lot of really sugar sweet things like cake, donuts.

If you eat any of that cut it out for a month see how it goes. Stopped eating that stuff put mine off.

• Posted

i am 38 and been dealing with boils since i was around 19 they started in my breast area and then moved to my underarms. i know how depressed they can make you feel. and on top of that make you feel unattractive but i wish i could tell you a cure but what really helps me is epsom salt baths and anytime i can go to the beach and the salt and sunshine really do clear it up. please dont give up you are young and i am sure a beautiful person !

• Posted

Hi Elli. I'm s sorry to hear you are going through a difficult time. I applaud you for reaching out. I hope that you find strength to push forward. This is but one aspect of your life. I hope too that you find a good therapist or trusted, non-judgemental family or friend to talk to often. It's so healing to "talk it out". One really needs a strong, healthy mind to fight this physical challenge. There are some experiences shared about Humira if you can search it here on the thread. Sugar, dairy and eggs are serious triggers for many people. Supplements are great for strengthening the immune system, especially Vitamins B, C, D, Omega3, zinc picolinate, iron, turmeric, among others. These were prescribed by a homeopath. We need to realize each individual reacts differently to things. I wish you the very best as you fight this challenge.

• Posted

Glad you reached out. Humira is ok, it worked for me for a few months, but ultimately, it stopped. Watching gluten, nightshade veggies (tomatoes) and sugar all help. I also take 25mg of CBD oil daily. That is what has helped me the most. It's a tough disease. It hurts, it's not pretty and it scars. But. Don't get too discouraged. There are things that can help! I've been off Humira for 2 years and doing pretty well, just by controlling my diet. If you look at the big picture, and you change eating habits, rather than have painful sores, isn't it worth it? Good luck to you!

• Posted

I know it’s hard! I am 32 and have suffered since I was 12! But believe me if someone would have told me even 10 years ago what could pretty much erase them I would have done it in a second!! I figured out about 3 years ago that any amount of sugar in my diet will trigger a boil. I stopped cold turkey! (No soda, ice cream, cake, candy, any thing with above 5g of sugar on the packaging) I haven’t had one in such a long time! I feel like a normal person and that’s all I’ve wanted my whole life! I know it’s hard, sugar is in soooooo much food these days. But you have to ask yourself what is more important to you? Consuming sugar or being HS free? I am a HUGE proponent of eliminating sugar first. If you keep getting boils, take something else out of your diet too like nightshades or dairy. Keep a daily food log so that if you get one you can review what you ate. I know it’s hard work but this disease is simply horrible and taking back your life is better than any food you could ever possibly eat for just temporary satisfaction.

• Posted

Hi Elli,

I remember your note from a few weeks ago and am just checking in. I hope your perspective is lighter about whatever is going on. Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Thank you all for your encouraging responses! For the past few weeks I have been trying my best by cutting out sugar and dairy. Those seem to be my triggers. However, I realized that I haven't had any new flareups for a while, but I've had two boils that have been completely resistent for months. They wont close at all, they'll leak occasionally and swell from time to time. I've gotten them injected with antibiotics several time, yet they won't go away. Other than that, no new severe flareups.

• Posted

It is a slow process my open wounds took months to close. I kept putting baking soda on them. also bandage.

But your getting progress

• Posted

I'm so glad to hear that you are making progress. It's a long journey, but every win counts. Wishing you the best.

• Posted

Just to encourage folks I have not had any flareups for almost 4 months, for me it was the occasional chocolates. cakes, donuts those types of heavy sugar items.

I can get away with some candy once in awhile, even a few snickers etc.

But I can tell you it was that occasional piece of birthday cake, heavy chocolate or donuts, maybe even ice cream. Maybe its sugar thats in milk or something. I did not eat it often but I am pretty sure it triggers.

The real encouraging part is under my arms where I had it bad it has all flattened out and the scaring subsided there. Its not that bad looking, remember I had a lot of surgery under there so more scaring then most people. But who the hell is going to look under there, I didnt for months until today.

Another place I think I was getting it is at my waist belt line. I have a few still a little active there but not even sure its H.S it could be another issue I have there. They are not tunneling things more like cysts, or ingrown hair that causing blockage and are tough to get rid of.

• Posted

Wao, that is a powerful, encouraging testimony. Sugar does seem to be a powerful trigger for most. Congrats and i hope you continue healing.

• Posted

I am also suffering from Hydradenitis Supprativa since last 5 yrs. The only thing that helped me is Emuaid max ointment from USA. It is heaven sent. I advice to use it as topical application. Hope this helps. All the best.

• Posted

Try Emuaid Max ointment from USA. Its heaven sent. I am suffering from Hydradenitis Supprativa since last 5 yrs. Tried many antibiotics and was very tired as nothing worked for me. Then finally I came across Emuaid max ointment and after reading reviews I decided to give a try. So after using it I got very much relief from that ointment. I advice you to look no further and buy it now. Hope this helps. All the Best 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.