New and a little worried

Posted , 10 users are following.

My doctore prescribed me Mirtazapine today and was very vauge about the side effect and how it would help me. after researching the drug and reading on here im actually quite worried about taking it.

I have never taken any medication before which make me even more worried. anyone have positive results with this drug? i just see a lot of disscussion that make me not even want to try taking it.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It does help some people. It can cause a lot of side effects. Nasty ones, but so can the others. It just seems that mirt has the worst withdrawals of any of them. I would discuss other options, if I were you, but that's just me. Others may have more positive things to say.
  • Posted

Hi Duckie,

my experience is that it's a great drug for depression. Ive taken It for approx 3 years, initially on 15mgs now on 30mgs. It keeps me level - I don't have the emotional peaks and troughs. Also, it's supposed to help with sleep but It doesn't seem to help me that way, II've always been a poor sleeper. I just stopped taking zopiclone (which I became addicted to which is another story!). II've read many people say they've gained a lot of weight but thankfully that hasn't happened to me. I understand that when I am well enough to stop taking them, my doc will put me on a supervised reduction plan as withdrawal symptoms may ooccur. Hope this helps.

• Posted

HI,

I've been taking Mirazapine for several years without adverse effects. Why did your doctor prescribe it?  What doage?  AND what for (depression, sleep?).

I  would recommend taking it at bedtime or an hour before. It could make you a bit groggy in the morming. Additionally, take half the prescribed amount and see how you are with that. For enhancing sleep lower doses are best (7.5 - 15 mg). Good luck.

• Posted

Depression. i also have insomnia so if can help me sleep that would be a plus i also barely eat so gaining weight might not be so bad . they have me taking 7.5 mg ( 15 mg cut in half) since it's the first time i have ever taken any medication just to see how i do on it .
    • Posted

I've been on 7.5mg and stayed on this for a year now. It helps with sleep and eating. Stay watchful for any side effects, pains and vision but especially the ones that may require new medication to fix them. Often may be caused by Mirta. Some people have no noticable side effects and some will, may even start later on. I need to withdraw as my eye pressure gone high and I have some joints pains I did not have before. But when stopped eating and sleeping due to a severe infection it helped me. Whitdrawal is recommended to be taken very slow and it's hard.

Good luck!

• Posted

In my experience with 15mg Mirtazapine I found it extremely helpful. I had issues getting to sleep because of anxiety and mirt helped me sleep. Eventually my anxiety went and I was able to think clearly about what it was that was making me feel that way and as a result I have a much better hold over it. 

The worst side effect I experienced while being on them was feeling emotionally numb and that was what made me determined to come off of them. I came off cold turkey because my Doctor said it wouldn't concern him if I did. That is when I had the bad side effects and horrible withdrawal symptoms. As long as you taper off very gradually over time you should be fine. Everyone is different though, good luck!

• Posted

It is always a difficult decision. You will find positive and negative responses to every drug out there. Peoples bodies, and their unique psychology respond differently. Concensus mostly seems to be 3 weeks plus sees the improvements. I have not had physical side effects except about 2 hours after taking I am woken by a sort of tingling in the hands like pins and needles which lasted a couple of days. No I have upped to 30mg its happened again for 2 nights, somehow you work through it and go back to sleep. Maybe too early to talk about weight gain but this drug has not changed my appetite one bit.

• Posted

It has been a fantastic drug for me. I have very few side effects after the first week. To start with it made me feel in a daze for half of the next day, but that soon wore off. I was finding eating very hard too. I had terrible morning nausea and sickness. I had IBS, frequent migrains and itchy skin. Mirtazapine has cured all of these. I was also taking temazepam to sleep every night. Now I only have to take it around once every 3 weeks. I did put on a stone and a half to start with, but I have lost one stone and only have half a stone left to go.
  • Posted

I've not got much to add to previous posts. I've found mirtazapine to be an effective drug for depression and anxiety, with negligible side-effects. You will need to wait a few weeks to feel it's full effect, that's the same with all antidepressants. People who are having problems with drugs are more likely to go on these forum sites, so you hear from them, but not from the majority who are happy with the treatment! Everyone is different in their response. I've taken 30mg for 6 years and am now reducing it gradually because I've been fine for the last year. The only withdrawal effect I've had so far is waking up earlier in the morning after the reduced dose ( I'm going down to 15mg one night a week) but that's no problem.

• Posted

Iv been on mirt for 11 months I would say it has probably done me some good.i haven't had any major side effects but I did feel worse and very angry at first.that passed after a couple of weeks.your gp was probably vague because he didn't know the side effects I think that is a common thing.iv been on numerous anti depressants without knowledge of side effects.now I won't take anything without knowing everything about it.as for the weight gain iv been very lucky and not had that side effect.i do watch everything I eat though don't have treats very often.hope this helps.
  • Posted

I agree with Kathy a terrible Drug to withdraw from, but one shoe don't fit all.               Preferably I would go back to GP and ask about other opptions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.