New and haven't a clue!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone! I am new here. I went searching for a forum where someone may understand what I'm going through. I had spinal surgery in August 2017 and was placed on a special floor because my heart rate dropped extremely low and my blood work was coming back abnormal. I was told to follow up with an endocrinologist. So here's what's showing up. My cortisol levels are very high, my tsh is low and my atch is high. An adrenal tumor was found while a ct of my spine was done. I have an appt with my endocrinologist next week. I'm scared. But more than that I'm so tired of being tired and weak and feeling like a failure of a mother and wife!!!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey everyone. So I had my endocrinologist appt today. She ordered lots of tests. She said that they will tell her more about the tumor. So the labs that have been ordered are: Catechoolamines, (Fractioned urine, 24hour test,) another cortisol level test, dexamethasone, metanephrine (urine factioned) and tsh w/reflex FT4. I have been given a medication to take the night before the blood draw. She wants to see my cortisol level in the normal range from taking that medication. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Anyone else have these tests before?
    • Posted

Hi Rachel it’s seems they are looking at whether it it’s a functioning or non functioning. I’ve had all these tests they are fine (just a pain having to wee in the bucket for 24 hours ha ha) hope all goes well and they can get the rumour out ASAP xxx
    • Posted

I am not  familiar with the tests, only cortisol. The dexamethasone was given to my partner to check if he had Cushing's disease. (Cushing's disease is when the adrenal glands secrete too much cortisol, the opposite to adrenal insufficiency or Addison's disease which is too little cortisol). Which kind of medication have you have to take before the tests? It is crucial to know... The tsh w/reflex FT4 is a test to check why your tsh is low (I just read it !!!) 

Let us know

monsie

• Posted

Hi Rachel

From some of your results

It could be because of

Cushing's disease.

Though, I just woke up

But you said your cortisol was high

So it could also be Cushing's syndrome

• Posted

The medication I have to take the night before the blood draw is dexamethasone, generic for Decadron.
  • Posted

My partner had that test. It is for Cushing's disease.

• Posted

Ok so now im more confused than ever. I took the medication and had my blood drawn. Now my cortisol level is 1.1

I had other labs done as well as 2- 24 hr urine tests but those results aren't back yet. But why would my cortisol be so low after being so high???? What does that prove to my dr?

• Posted

I am also confused... when are you going to see the doctor? I guess you have to wait and see what she says...  when is your appointment? I hope you keep in high spirits; soon you'll know what is the reason for this yo-yo  cortisol levels.

Let us know what the doctor says.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.