New and nervous!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Barrett's with high grade dysplasia in April.  A mucosal resection was done and the dysplasia was removed.  Two GI doctors have said my prognosis is excellent but they want me to have hernia surgery.  I'm 75 years old and the surgeon reminded me five times during my appointment that I'm old.  Which brings up the question of how high risk is this surgery for someone like me?

He said he will do a full wrap and there is a question about whether I'll need to continue taking PPI's.  I have low iron and will receive an iron infusion before surgery.  I had no symptoms of reflux and now, if the entries on some forums are correct, I'm looking at a long uncomfortable recovery.  

Has anyone my age had this surgery and what was the recovery period like?  I'm normal weight, exercise five days a week and am in good health.  I guess I'm looking for reassurance that I will be able to have my current normal life back. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you had no symptoms of reflux - how did they find your barrett’s in the first place?
  • Posted

I was very tired and a blood test showed my hemglobin at 6.1 instead of 12.  Based on that, I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy.  My local GI doctor referred me to one of the GI doctors at a large teaching hospital who specializes in treatment of Barrett's.  The surgeon has done a few hundred of the Nissen surgeries so everyone says I'm in good hands.  

I'm glad they found it because I was very close to esophageal cancer but this surgery has me completely freaked out.  I've been reading different forums and the consensus is no burping, no vomiting, lots of gas passing, six months for total healing....the list just goes on and on.  I've had a cardiac cryoablation and a lumpectomy and both were pretty easy surgeries with rapid recoveries.  This seems to be completely different.

Will I ever be able to have a sandwich or a steak?  It doesn't sound like it.  The closer I get to the surgery date the more frightened I get.

• Posted

Hi Elaine.  I am delighted that your prognosis is excellent.  I think if the doctors are suggesting the fundoplication then do it.  They will take into consideration all the pros and cons and discuss this with you.  

Good luck with the operation. 

• Posted

Hi Elaine

I had  a Nissen fundoplication and hernia repair 17 years ago. As long as you stick to the rules about slowly introducing solids into you diet and don't overeat, you should be fine. I can eat anything now. As far as the burping and vomiting goes, or rather inability to perform these bodily functions, the lack of burping isn't an issue at all and doesn't seem to cause any extra wind. I always carry anti-emetics like Metaclopromide for the rare event I feel sick. If your doctors are recommending this procedure then you should take their advice. They have successfully removed the damage caused by your silent reflux (when a person refluxes but can't feel it) and now they want to prevent this silent reflux from happening again  It sounds like they caught you in time and have done an excellent job so far. From what you have written it looks like you are in good hands. I wish you all the best..

• Posted

Lucinia,  

Thank you for the reassuring words.  I'm still nervous about it but it's either that or the real possibility of esophageal cancer.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.