New and nowhere to turn.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a few questions if anyone can help? I have had headaches and neck pain since I was 16 I am now 24 and nothing has changed I live with pain daily I get numbness in my hand and my fingers tingle. I just myself done research and found most of the symptoms of fibromyalgia I have I almost cried reading about it because I have gotten no where with doctors in 8 years not one have diagnosed me. One told me maybe I was on a nerve causing the neck pain and numbness and tingling they gave me mussel relaxers which didn't help and sent me to another doctor they did a brain scan because of the head aches it was normal sent me to another doctor I am screaming to these doctors my neck is where is all starts. The next doctor was a neurologist I told him everything he NEVER touched me he looked at me and said and I quote " Do you know how many people I see a day with head aches" in which I say "my neck will hurt before the head aches" he sent me on my way with nerve blocker which again didn't work. All of this was over the 8 years until I got to the point I would just give up for a year or so and live with the fact I would never get help then about 3 years ago I started having high blood pressure only with the pain. Now the doctor I am seeing says he has "no magic pill for me" and said " I hope non of the other doctors have given you narcotics" which they haven't and yet again sent me on my way with blood pressure medication. I want them to stop putting me off on another doctor I want a diagnoses I want test I want answers. Could it be fibromyalgia I would love to hear from those who have this to see if it could be what I'm dealing with or should I move on to the next self diagnosis.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Of course you want answers, these symptoms are all too common and could be numerous things. You have to stick with doctor and go to every test he feels you need, you will get there I promise
    • Posted

The thing is he doesn't feel the need to do test. I know my body and I have suffered for years now.

• Posted

I complained to my Dr for 7 years of hip and leg pain finally got a dr that said ok lets do a MRI ..... well hello guess what the pain isnt in your head i have an impingement of a muscle deep in my hip
  • Posted

Hi Meg, very difficult to say if it could be fibro, but doesn't sound typical. So sorry the neurologist was so unhelpful. Ask your GP to refer you to a rheumatologist, and/or to a pain clinic. Good luck Honey xx

• Posted

Do you know, that's happening more and more, doctors not doing their job right, I'm sick of all the vacant looks and, 'oh well' we will have to try and get by, maybe if still the same, next time, just get a job whal

• Posted

Has anyone X rayed you or offered you an MRI scan to check for damage to your neck/spine if not ask the doctor for this as it is an excellent diagnostic test. Think back to when this started did anything happen in your life an accident any trauma anything at all no matter how small ? It does sound like you may have nerve impingement this would account for your description of symptoms. Go back to your doctor for further investigations is my advice, kind regards Harriet
  • Posted

Hi Meg, have you had a MRI done.? I think you need to get one to see if there are any issues with your neck. Also have you tried any other options other than a dr like chiro, massage or Bowen theropy? I wouldnt be so quick to lable yourself with fibro and i say this from experience. Get all other options ruled out first
    • Posted

No in 8 years all I have had is a brain scan, also I was also sent to physical therapy I walked out every single time crying I would cry in pain for hours after. I called my mom several times and her and my dad would have to come pick me up and drive my car I was in so much pain I couldn't. They sent me to therapy not having any idea if my neck may have an injury which from the start I though common since would be to make sure everything is okay before you go to pulling and twisting but I gave it a shot and after 9 weeks of going 2-3 times a week with feeling worse I quit going.

• Posted

Yeah i am surprised the physio didn't ask for xrays at least to be done. You poor thing i know how you feel. I would be insisting on a MRI. 9 weeks is a long time to see no improvement sounds like your physio was just happy to take your money for nothing.did he/she offer any advice as to what it could be?

• Posted

Like others have said an MRI would be good to start with. Did the physio person explain why you were having so much pain?  I would insist on a different physio therapist.  Have you got a sports clinic where you live.  Sometimes they are better at diagnosing these things.  Maybe a massage therapist would be good.  But for sure get that MRI.  Hope you get what you need soon!  Don't give up!

• Posted

Hi Meg I see your in the exact same position as I'm in it's so frustrating isn't it!. I feel that doctors don't believe me when I say I'm in pain because I'm only 15. One doctor was looking in to see if I had mental health problems! All because he wasn't sending me for the correct blood tests! I hope you get things sorted soon X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.