New and really struggling

Posted , 6 users are following.

I got citalopram after my first child from post traumatic stress, from the birth. This was at its worst with my first born 8 month old. Got sorted, felt better then weened down to 10mg when fell with my second child. Came off as felt fine. A lot of family/life pressures I woke up one day back to the hell I felt before. Went to docs got 10mg again and its been almost 6 weeks. However I am fine Mon-Wed then the last few days of the week its as if I haven't taken any tablets I feel so bad. Got myself in the most terrible of situations this afternoon and I was/am trying for baby number 3 BUT I feel like there is no light. My family are all being affected and I can't bare being hooked on these pills for ever. Can anyone offer me advise 

sad

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Don't be afraid of this Medication..if you have to take it forever to make your mind stable than it's ok..you wouldn't have a problem taking diabetic or blood pressure meds if that was required...and I'm sure you wouldn't called those meds .."been hooked on"..

• Posted

Hi lois I am on week 10 of 20 mg been feeling really good but today I have felt Rubbish tierd and just all round flat is this normal ..
    • Posted

Yes Maria this is all normal..you will have those ups and downs...until they will slowly and unnoticeable will deminish day by day..stay on one dose give the dose lots of time..if you have been feeling good that's a good sign that it's doing it's thing..

• Posted

Thank you! Its easier said than done though. Life is very hard and I can't shake the thought of me letting myself down by "needing" tablets to be a happier person. Seems sad 

• Posted

That is what we called a mental illness..and to answer it's easier said than done statement..I went thru the same thing your going thru now or perhaps worst!!!and guess what I feel fantastic now.. because of the celexa... and if your struggling with the idea I have to take these pills to feel happy...try weaning off and see what happens...????

• Posted

Take Lois' advice.  She's been guiding me for almost a year now and don't know where I'd be without her.

• Posted

Hi have u thought about counselling it does help i was a bit like that about taking the tablets but if they help then id rather that than being when its at its worse x I have just been put on proponol as well which i hope will help get me through i also listen to calming tapes
  • Posted

your Dr suggested seeing a psychiatrist,I had to do that,it was really helpful.I learnt a lot about how the brain works,I also had therapy,it did help a lot.I was on the meds for 18 years.I felt I had been to hell and back coming off them.They have a place  these meds,but side effects are shocking.Having babies to look after is really hard.Explore why you feel bad.I also had a lot on counselling,it really does help.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone, yeah I think it just gets me more down when its so common, no matter what people say there will always be people judging.

I took 20mg yesterday and today as at an all time low, but think I just stick with the 10mg. It will be close to 6 weeks at the end of the month so praying I level out. I just seems like medication is the easy way out. My brain was fine before children LOL

• Posted

Stick to the 10..it work for me..and is still working 19months later..took me a while to start feeling the benefits..but it happened..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.