New and worsening sleep maintenance insomnia. What should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the last few months I've noticed that my sleep has been getting progressively worse and worse. At first it was mild, just waking up drowsy. Then it turned into waking multiple times at night to taking a few minutes to fall back asleep and now it can take an hour + to do so and even when I do fall back asleep it's very restless. I've also recently developed a slight fever at 99.1 degrees and have the seemingly standard slight memory and coordination problems. I should probably also mention that I've been having a sore throat and post nasal drip since it began, but the sleep problems just seem to be getting worse while it seems to stay the same.

I just want to know if anyone else has had something like this happen to them and if so what did you do? If not, what advice could you give me?

Also, I'm sorry if this post is a mess, it's my first time posting about this and my anxiety has been hitting me hard lately, so any advice is welcome.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Before I begin, everything I say I do so through personal experience and I am not in any way connected to medical practice. If you are practicing good sleep hygiene, not too hot, not too cold, no clocks, no distracting lights or radio sounds or television sounds, then it would be best if you contacted your GP to discuss the problem. One fact that you mentioned, laying in bed sometimes for an hour plus once you wake, could be one way to approach your problem. Instead of laying there for such a length of time, get out of bed, leave the bedroom, sit and have a drink of something warm and milky then when you feel ready go back to bed. If the problem remains the same then continue with this regime irrespective of how exhausted you may feel until it becomes a matter of habit. The more you worry about sleeping, the worse your sleeping pattern will become. This is called anticipatory anxiety and if you suffer from any kind of anxiety to begin with then the more you will worry about not getting to sleep when you think you need to do. This is a process designed to reset your circadian rhythms which are the body (and mind's) way of telling your body when you are tired enough to sleep and when you ought not to be in a phase of wanting to sleep. If that doesn't do the trick then the next step is to visit your GP for medical advice. Having said all of that, although it is advice I have been given from numerous sources including my current GP, countless Consultant Psychiatrists and other health care professionals, I have had since my teenage years until now at the age of sixty two only two nights of natural sleep. I rely on medication and am quite happy to continue to do so. Everyone is different and not many people would feel comfortable being reliant on medication as I am yet, as I said, I am happy not to compound the anxiety I endure by adding to it from anxiety over sleep. I wish you well.

John

• Posted

Thank you, I'll have to try that.

I saw my GP today and they told me to try out some anti-anxiety medication to see what it does and come back in 3 weeks. Here's hoping it works out. I couldn't get an answer for my other symptoms sadly but they think it may just be sinus/allergies and a cold.

Cameron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.