New ankle problem 5 months after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I was doing great; finally walking without pain and having minimal swelling. But then last Sunday i thought I would try a very slow jog. I felt fine, jogged and walked for about 1/2 hour or so.   The next day though, my ankle was realy sore and has remained sore when walking sine then. Just now I happened to look at the ankle and it looks like there are 2 balloons on both sides. I have never seen it this swollen. Could this be normal or did I re-injure it? I had a plate and screws put in during the surgery (ankle was broken in 3 places) Now I'm worried that the plate hads come loose. But wouldn't I feel some sort of stabbing pain?  This is just an ache all around the ankle, not at the incision. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Doctor not available until Monday and I really don't want to go to the ER. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Go to emergency department. That's not normal. You need medical advice asap. I asked my Physio, when I could be expected to run. He new it was a joke. I couldn't run b4 I broke my ankle, and 4 months later had a bone graft, pkatexsnd screws. Now 4 months after that.

Are you under a Physio? If not you need to be. Doesn't sound good.

Let us know what the medical team say.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Agreed! Go to ER, swelling should be looked and they will probably do an X-ray. Keep us posted, wishing you well....
  • Posted

Just seen your post. How are you now? Is there any change?

- [ ] Have you used RICE? Rest/Elevation/Compression/Elevation?

- [ ] Have you taken anti-inflammatory it analgesic?

- [ ] Is there any reduction in the swelling?

If no change, a trip to Accident & Emergency or a 24-hour Health Clinic might be important to diagnose what is going on and, hopefully, allay your fears

Keep in touch and hope all goes well

• Posted

PS. I Am also five months post/surgery but have only just started walking and WB

If I overdid it, I would get swollen lumps under each ankle and I would elevate and massage it away towards my heart. Then I would ICE

BUT, everyone is individual and with any persistent change, always important to get it checked out

Good luck. Let us know the outcome

• Posted

My ankle also swells after being on it all day and ice and elevation pretty much make it go away. I'm also had a trimalleolar fracture (almost 4 months out). When it swells there is swelling on both sides of the foot under the ankle bones (on the top of the foot), but they don't exactly balloon out (just some swelling that is noticeable in a round sort of pattern), but who knows what would happen if I attempted to run in a month from now. How are you doing now? Did the sweling go down with ice and elevation? I think if the screws were loosening, you are right, you would feel them on the sides of the ankles. Do you have a fever or any other symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.