New at stopping

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I've never done anything like this before but I think I'm going to need some support over the next few months. I need to, and want to, stop drinking alcohol. When I drink I get aggressive and I don't know when to stop until I'm unconscious. I have an amazing new partner and I want to stop drinking and ruining my relationship before it is too late. This weekend I have drank and drank, pushed him, shouted at him and treated him very badly. I don't want to be that person. When I am sober I'm happy, positive, I have a great job and friends and family. I am a nice person, until the wine comes out. I know I need to stop but I don't know how I am going to do it. Any suggestions on how to cope with what lies ahead?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You have made the first step, and you have come to the right place smile

You have to keep yourself busy, do what ever it takes not to drink.

Have you seen a doctor?

You might want too, there are different meds out there that can help.

How often do you drink?

good luck to you and stay strong smile

• Posted

Thank you Sue. I can go all week with nothing, then it gets to Saturday night and I get past 2/3 drinks and I can't stop, or won't stop, or don't know when I stop. I haven't seen a doctor yet, I'm planning to call first thing tomorrow morning and speak to her about options, I don't really know what to do or where to turn. Hence this step! Them you for taking the time to reply smile
  • Posted

Hi saffron, you've come to the right place for support, I've found this forum a great help since I started tackling my addiction a few weeks ago.

Many of us on here are using Selincro or naltrexone which cuts cravings and allows you to have 1 or 2 drinks and leave it there. Have a read through some of the other posts talking about these drugs and you'll see they've worked really well for most people.....

Good luck :-)

• Posted

Keith is right, Saffron. Nalmefene (Selincro) would help you to avoid drinking too much. It is amazing how well it works. People have a pill before drinking and find they don't even want to drink more than one or two drinks.
    • Posted

Thanks, I will definitely speak to my doctor about it but I'm torn because I don't know how much of a long term solution that would be? But it is worth a try, anything is!
  • Posted

Hello Saffrongreen

Very well done at this early stage smile This really is the best place to be for you where you will find the best support . It does make sense to go to the Docs and try anything to help ! If you can go a week without having a drink then thats a good sign smile However , it can easily turn into a habitual daily thing particularly if you feel stressed etc and your situation changes so the more reason to deal with this now smile

As sue says , think of anything to do to stop the urge to drink

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Saffrongreen,

It is wonderful  that you see the connection between stopping drinking and the behavioral effect it will have on your own actions-outbursts.  You must realise that you need to do this for yourself and your relationship with yourself, because that is the baseline for every relationship you will ever have with anyone else.  I personally don't have agression problems but I quit for my health and before it could affect my relationships and work, life, everything. It will suck the life out of the life you have now in every way shape and form.  It wants you to let it. Alcohol is the creep, not you.  You care about yourself but it couldn't crud-a-give either way. 

You could use your other half as the reason to quit, for now, but I hope that you realise that just as he is giving you a reason today, what if he were gone tomorrow?

Charity begins at home. You. Your body and life are a temple and you would be short-changing yourself were you to build it upon another person who is just as human as you are. 

You are perfect.  Grab that bull by the horns like I am. Ride it, tame it, let it go and  walk your journey without it.  All it does is see red anyway, at least it does when it's inside you.

Ciao......................

Hope this helps!

idea

• Posted

Hi all,

Just wanted to update you. I've been to my doctors who was so lovely with me. Spoke about going on some drugs but she didn't think I was 'at that stage' so I think that's a positive thing. I've booked myself in with the practice Alcohol Worker in the next few weeks. She was also really enthusiastic about me using patient.info for support!

I wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied to me, it really pulled me through when I needed it smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.