New Bronchiectasis looking for advice

Posted , 13 users are following.

HI im a 44 year old lady who has has been told I have bronchiectasis ,I have felt unwell for 2 years ,and had test after test,Im feeling a bit overwhelmed and a little upset ,has anyone got any good advice and tips how to keep well and healthy as possible

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I am 49 and was diagnosed 6 weeks ago. Like most people never heard of it.

When I found out I was in shock, emotional, had lots of unanswered questions.

Thankfully I have a very good consultant who went through everything with me. I did not even know anything was wrong just had a cough for a while and went to the doctors. I am now taking symbicort which helps to prevent chest infections and using a acapello for sputum. I have three children one is 15 and a full time job which can be exhausting at times. I have now come to terms with it but still learning new things. Its not as bad as i thought it would be. Stay positive .x

• Posted

Thanks ,I am going to get a acapello

I have had some really good advice and it helps to talk to people in your condition ,I do feel better and I'm going to take have a positive mind and do the best I can to keep the infections away with good management and take each day has I comes

Take care Joanne

• Posted

hello.

It would seem that the illness is as varied as the people that have it. IO guess all the usual advice would apply i.e. diet exercise etc but tobviously depends on your health status at the time. The one thing I have learned is to get help as soon as you even have an inkling that there is something going on. Don't wait.

Good luck. I hope others reply to you.

john

• Posted

hello ,thank you for the advice ,I try and take good care of myself but when the infection sets in I find it hard ,I find it hard to adjust that I can't just bounce back like I used to do,I am I trying to not wait now and get help sooner

take care 

Jo 

• Posted

You will find plenty of help here.

I was diagnosed ten years ago,

My condition is mild.

I now live a good active life because

I was referred to a physio. She taught

me the breathing exercises which you 

too can learn.

I do mine at the end of the day.

Sometimes during the day.

Clears the lungs and gives to an increase in

lung capacity etc etc

There are also early trials of Stem Cell therapy 

for COPD patients. So, keep a look out for developments there.

You can have a normal life and sleep.

• Posted

hi I live in England,at the moment I am trying to control the infections but I just seem  to get one after another ,I'm waiting physio,I am hoping when I can learn the breathing exercises I can get on s even keel.thankyou for all your advise it really helps

jo 

• Posted

oh this thread is proving very helpful indeed,

Thank you Jockeys for starting it!

My only tips are

* to spend as much time with the physiotherapy department as possible

* avoid a hymoptysis if at all possible

* not to push ourselves work wise too much when we feel unwell ( it really isn't a good idea at all)

* and i find having a good laugh to be invaluable

• Posted

hi I'm glad I could help 

all the tips are great the pushing is very hard I have always been active,and I find myself feeling very tired some days ,but I'm learning to take a slower pace when I'm feeling like that.The laughing is a very good idea it keeps you sane and sometime we forget that so thankyou 

for reminding me of the most important things in life are the simple ones 

take care 

JoJo

• Posted

Hello, I'm 16 with bronchiectasis, just wanted to let you know that we are all here to help. The most important thing is to listen to your doctors and physiotherapists, they have helped me alot. 

• Posted

Hello thanks this site is wonderful it has helped with great tips ,I am going to listen and learn everything I can from doctors,physiotherapists ,I want get better and be has healthy and be positive,because life is what you make it 

take care and thanks for the tips 

• Posted

Hi Jockey,  Let me give you some encouragement.  I am 86 year old female who probably  had bronchiectasis long before Duke Medical Center diagnosed me.     I take care of myself by using a Smart Vest,  drinking lots of water,  recently started useing a nebulizer.  My life did not stop.  I slowed down a bit and rest when I need to.  

You are 44?  I hope you have at least 42 good years, like me.   

• Posted

Rocking in a rocking chair has help me over the year.  Old ones are most comfortable and readily found quite inexpensive at thrift shops and Habitat for Humanity.  The rocking help my breathing.  Try it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.