New compulsion to not eat, ocd help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been dealing with OCD since I was very young and have been managing quite well up until around 3-4 months ago, my partner and I have been having a tough time recently and I have been dealing with a completely new intrusive thought since, which is, if I don’t eat, we won’t argue. I can eat absolutely fine when we’re getting along, but when an argument happens (which usually lasts a few days at a time) I turn into a complete mess and can’t eat because I have this horrible thought that if I don’t eat when the argument is going on, then things will resolve, where as if I eat then things will get worse. It’s driving me crazy, when I first got this intrusive thought my partner and I argued for almost two weeks and I dropped half a stone and a dress size, I completely lose my appetite too. I don’t know how I’m supposed to explain this to my partner because my ocd has never been a noticeable problem up until now and because I’ve never dealt with this one before, I don’t know what I’m supposed to do or how to explain it when I feel silly even writing it on here because I feel like I’m going insane. Please help! 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

This is just a myths...fight with your thoughts do not let your thoughts dominate you......nothing will going to happen you eat..argument is not about eating its about you and partner understanding....so enjoy your life smile
  • Posted

Hi Shannon, sorry to hear you are going through these frustrating thought processes. I'm no expert when it comes to obsessive thoughts on the scale you describe but I'm guessing that it's your mind's way of controlling a situation that you otherwise feel no control over. Your emotions may be overwhelming so logic tries to take over & impose some kind of order. I think it would be good to talk this over with a health professional & seek some counselling. Perhaps even some relationship counselling could help to strengthen the bond between you & your partner. Communication is the key but emotions can get in the way. It's important to understand things from one another's perspective & stop the cycle continuing. Keep us informed how things go. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.