New & Confused already

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i spoke with my gp last week and requested a trial of orlistat as I am so unhappy with my then weight of 15st 9lbs and she was more than happy that I had done my research and booked me in with the practice nurse tonight for a weight/diet review.

well this is where things have taken a turn! I explained my problem to the nurse and presented my iPad with myfitnesspal for the last 10 days which showed my commitment to eating healthier.........she pretty much slated my diet by saying not to eat cheese (I chose to use a laughing cow blue cheese light triangle on a jacket potato instead of butter but she wasn't happy with that - told to leave it dry or use beans or tinned tomatoes instead), I've lost 2lbs in a week so she didn't think I needed orlistat which I argued that this was the start of my journey and I needed the incentive to continue with a consquence to reverting back to old habits (she pulled a face but backed down!), that it's 10g fat/100g and 10g sugar/100g not the 5g I have been sticking to (is she setting me to fail with the dreaded side effects?) and i should spend more money on fresh fruit/veg/meat/fish which I explained can be difficult on a budget with a family to feed too and 2 young children who need the higher fat foods (especially our ADHD son who has to have high fat snacks as per the dietician due to his meds but I do avoid the snacks myself).

i am so deflated already but plan to collect the tablets on Friday and see how it goes. I am currently set for 1500 calls per day but usually 300 under most days and increasing my exercise but concerned I won't be eating enough as she has scared me.

can anyone help me please?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You can eat cheese on the tablets laughing cow lightest. Your Nurse sounds a right....

I had a right b1tch Nurse when i first went on them she also told me wrong information

anyway second time around no more than 5g per 100g.

I eat Less than 1500 most days and it;s enough for me and i have lost over 100lbs. You don't need to spend tons of money on fruit and veg just adpat your food around the family

if you need any help please post back

x

• Posted

Is there any chance you can get your next batch of tablets from your GP not the Nurse next time if you don't get on with her. i personally find DRs better to deal with than Nurses
    • Posted

I have a weigh in after 4 weeks so will see how it goes then. I read in a few posts (your very knowledgeable and supportive) that you have a blog - could I have a link please?
  • Posted

Hi I was just going to say show that nurse Britney Spears, profile .

That alone is proof that these tablets work , look thro her post .

Some people ie your nurse have no idea how they work. 

On this forum you will get all the help you need to get through your weight loss . 

I can tell you now you will soon feel at ease with us .

Sharing the old wind problems and being constipated ,trust me you maybe laughing now just you wait . Lol 

So go pick up your tablets hold your head high it's tough , very rewarding .

Keep us posted xxxxx

• Posted

Thank you x

We want to try for another baby at the end of the year so I 'need' to lose weight to reduce the risk of gestational diabetes again plus I've been on crutches with pelvic girdle pain in my last 2 pregnancies from just 18 weeks so the fitter the better!

• Posted

Well I wish you all the luck you have had quite a rough time of it .

Keep smiling x 

• Posted

Hi Honey, As a friend of mine would say "that nurse needs to be told" - needs to be told who pays her salary as a public sector worker and that there is no excuse for rudeness.  Tell your doctor when you next see him / her that you found the nurses' attitude and lack of support very unsettling and you feel having to see her in the future will compromise your chances of success.  That should pay the old bag back.

I am just starting my journey on the blue pill and have 7 stone to lose so mine is a bloody long journey but hey ho have tried everything else upteen times and only ever got fatter than when I started so this time I am giving it everything I've got.  Like a number of other members of this forum I am combining the tablets with attending Slimming World.  I am on a very tight budget but find that the Slimming World plan is one that with a bit of effort could become a life plan that helps keep the pounds off and you can work it within a budget.   If too expensive to go every week why don't you just join so you can get the books and diet plan and then do it yourself at home.  By joining you can also get the access code for on line help with receipes etc which I believe if useful.

Wish you well with your efforts.  Look forward to reading your good news as you get used to the tablets.

• Posted

The first time I sought advice, I was told by the doctor to make an appointment to see the nurse. She was so unhelpful and being 6ft and a size 8, I felt so humiliated talking to her I never went back. I have since moved and changed doctors. First visit for seeking help, the doctor was wonderful. She made me wait a week so she could discuss my obesity with the other doctors but was happy to prescribe them. I am booked to see her in 3 weeks which is unfortunately her last day. 
  • Posted

She sounds like a right cow!

YOU eat what YOU want - and what works for you,

What a horrible woman, and you're right about the fruit and veg, I went and bought 12 satsumas and 8 apples from the co op this morning as enjoy them thru the day and they cost £10,12... I almost took a stroke! Single mum of 7, I work but I can't afford to do that! I only took them so I wouldn't look like an idiot in front of all the people behind me in the queue sad

Don't let anyone put you down! Least of all that miserable witch!

Shelagh xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.