New ct scan results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all adding more from last discussion I've just had a ct scan done only had MRI scan last time original diagnosis disc bulges from L4 through to S1 severe pain numbing etc today's results talk about moderate disc degeneration of L4,5 and S1 with narrowing of the spinal canal going for a nuclear bone scan anyone shed any light what this diagnosis means symptoms are severe pain from around bottom of buttocks to mid back weak legs with right leg falling away every now and than pins needles in feet lately pain to shoulder blades and right arm

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Wayne, I have DDD, and have had fusion years ago, still have back pain which affects legs.

Google   micro motion. There is a really interesting item on spine health, about inflammatory proteins that leak from damaged discs. It's worth a read.

• Posted

Basically I'm no doctor so don't take this as advice or true expertise but basically you have a lot of issues along your spine it seems. The fact that you have degeneration at s1 makes me wonder if a spondylitis diagnosis was ever mentioned? Narrowing of the spinal canal can definitely be the reason for many of your symptoms.The fact that you are getting a nuclear scan tells me that your doctor is being thorough which is always a good thing. A nuclear scan can evaluate "hot spots" of activity going on in your body which would indicate such things like inflammation, possible malignancy, bone turnover, etc. I would encourage you to always get a second opinion once a diagnosis is made and treatment plan established. It's always a good thing. Have you had blood labs done yet?

• Posted

No bloods well not for about 10 months when I was seeing a different doctor this doctor seems very thorough which is good hopefully get some news soon thanks for your advice much appreciated
  • Posted

A nuclear bone scan sounds interesting. Sounds like you have a good DR.

It does sounds similar to my spine problems. I can't walk far but keep active.

I get pain and week in arms and legs it's not much fun.

But hope they can help you. There are Lots of modern treatments available nowadays.

Rest and light exercises on, days you feel ok.

Physio may help but see what they say after the scan. Good luck. X

• Posted

What is wrong with your back if you don't mind me asking and what have you had done

• Posted

I've got... Scoliosis and Kyphosis ie won My spine and neck. Now older my discs are gradually dissolving. Plus chemotherapy worse. Numbness in legs and arms. Etc etc...... c o p d and Asthma too so a bit we disabled lol.

• Posted

As your disc collapses your pain will get less, as a flattened disc is more stable, at least that's the theory!

• Posted

Yes the bone grows over the disc area. It does get stiffer but less pain. Can take a year or two.....
    • Posted

No it doesn't fuse, unless you already have a bony fusion, it just becomes stable when all the inside has leaked out. That's if you have prolapsed discs.

What's kyphosis, haven't heard of that before.

• Posted

Ah yes your right thou I've been fused since age 17 so slightly different I'm guessing. Kyposis is the similar to scoliosis which is basically curvature of the spine. Scoliosis the spine and biopsy curves like an s shape.

Kyphosis is a curve forwards mainly older people get this as they age. But I'm youngish to have it.

• Posted

to me it sounds like spinal stenosis and nerve impingment. the ususal course of treatment in my personal experience is Physical therapy, steroid shots, then sx if conservative measures fail. I have had 4 lumbar sx, the last being a multilevel fusion. Ive had similar symptoms at different times, You certainly should see a neurosurgeon for an opinion and a physiatrist for pain management. Good luck! I know it is very discouraging with back pain.
    • Posted

Hey yeah I agree I've seen surgeon I was ment to have surgery in January I've put it off to try conservative treatment it hasn't worked I've had physio and the epidural all have failed the bone scan is next step on Friday

• Posted

Surgery may be the best option. try not to have fear about that. I am so glad I had the surgeries. after the first 3 which were laminectomies for hernaited disc and nerve impingment, then spinal stenosis, I just had the multi level fusion with the removal of my right facet joints at L5-S1 level. My fusion was just 4 1/2 weeks agao and I am feeling really good without pain. I initially had some leg pain and made a visit to the ER but the steroid pack to care of it and I am feeling really good. I am wearing a brace (told it would be 3 months and then have physical therapy). I am very happy I did it.
    • Posted

Do you know roughly the recovery time is after surgery ie: how long in hospital how long until you can walk freely and back to normal duties etc
    • Posted

I had my surgery on Tuesday ( April 18) and I was discharged on Friday . The first two weeks and all I did was lay in bed and walk around a little in a while then lay in bed again . It was in this first two weeks that the leg pain came on but after the steroid pack it disappeared . I am wearing a brace which I have to wear for the first three months until the soft fusion sets in . I can pretty much walk anywhere but I can't bend lift or twist so that kind of limits the movement . This Friday I'll have my first x-ray after the surgery to see if there's been any fusion going on . My doctor says that at about three months they start you in physical therapy for 9 to 12 weeks and then after that it's just practicing and stressing you're back to strengthen the bone . People can go back to work at six weeks if it is a sedentary job and maybe not so soon if it's in if it's something physical... more like after 12 weeks . Everyone is a little different though and everyone heals a little differently so everybody's pace is probably a little different . I'm talking about a fusion if it's not a fusion the recovery time is much shorter . When I had a laminectomy I went home the next day and really was back to normal within two weeks . As for myself I feel pretty back to normal except for the limitations put on me by the doctor with my movement .i just get tired out at night more than I did before. If the fusion has started to set then I'll be able to take the brace off part of the day. So that's all I know . My fusion was through the back some people have it through the side or through their stomach . The neurosurgeon you pick will probably be pretty accurate on how his patients recover . Some surgeons have different styles about the way they handle things some do not make patients wear a brace and some do . I came home with a boatload of pain meds but hardly used any . But that's me . Good luck!

• Posted

Wow !!! You poor thing you have been through a lot I'm in Australia I've been toldsurgery isn't preformed through the stomach any more here they say the risk factor is to high of complications thanks for your input just trying to get other people's thoughts and experiences in recovery times for worst case scenario. You know one of the hardest things I've found is people don't know how mentally debilitating back pain (who haven't been there) it's hard to describe when you get up in the morning and best case scenario your not in pain for first 5 mins of the day and than all day night you struggle to move find a spot that's not so sore etc not telling you anything you don't know, that's why I like this page so much talking to people with experience it's almost like a counselling session 😂😂 the other thing I would like to ask everyone if comfortable in talking about it was how they hurt there back's in the first place, myself I'm a boilermaker and moved a boat around about ten yrs ago and slipped a disc had physio and chiropractors visits was fine after 2 weeks than about a year later slowly got worse and worse until where I am today always been involved in heavy lifting my hole life only 38 yrs old but 😜Well that's my story thanks guys x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.