New diagnosis

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with PMR and just taken my 3rd day of 15mg steroid.  Can anyone tell me how long before they start working? 

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mags, you will come to terms with PMR if that is what you have.  I started on 20mg of steroid and couldn't believe how these magic pills could take away so much pain, within a couple of hours and then after the 3rd day I marvelled at the absence of pain.  I had mobility back (I was one step away from a wheelchair).  Then I started to feel better and did a bit of catch up in the house.  BIG MISTAKE, I felt so weak and sick, so watch out for that one.  It could be that you need to increase your dose.  I hope you get it sorted.  All the best and let us know how you get on.  Regards Pat
    • Posted

I agree that the dose might need to be increased, especially in these early days.
    • Posted

Thank you.  It's good to hear you got so much relief so quickly.

I aways thought housework was bad for you (he he)!!

• Posted

One of the classic signs of PMR is rapid improvement of the symptoms of pain/stiffness in the shoulders and hip/thigh areas within 48 hrs of starting a steroid. If that is not the case, the physician will start looking in other directions for answers. PMR does not always appear with the classical findings, however.
    • Posted

I take my 4th dose tomorrow so fingers crossed I see some improvement.
  • Posted

In my case the miracle happened in fifteen and a half hours. It was incredible.  If nothing has happened it probably is not PMR. What blood tests did you have? It could be fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis or vitamin D deficiency or something else. One test to see if it is PMR is to put someone on vit C for a week, steroids for a week and then vit C for a week and check the results. If the steroids do not work PMR is discounted.. 
    • Posted

My GP didn't say, she just said she was testing for a condition that caused hip and shoulder pain. when i went back she saaid my levels were a little bit raised and that  it was PMR and started me on steroids.  I originally thought I might have arthritis as both my mum and gran had it and were diagnosed in their lte 40's.  My mum has osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.
    • Posted

In my case the pain was definitely in the muscles, not the joints, as it would be for RA.

I find it extremely hard to explain how it feels to 'hurt all over' lol

• Posted

I feel the pain starts from te muscles between my shoulders and top of my chest but radiates down arms where its the joints that then feel sore..eg wrist, elbow etc.  It certainly sounds like a condition that has a 'mind of it's own' !!
  • Posted

I hope you get some resolution soon. I was told to take 20mg on evening of diagnosis and then 20mg next morning. I felt better about mid morning after 2nd dose. i was always able to move my arms above my shoulders though I had pain there and in my neck. I had great difficulty moving in bed......hip pain etc and it was difficult to get out of bed. Had fatigue,loss of appetite (pity that has changed), and general debility. It's hard to remember all the symptoms now I feel so much better. This a very helpful forum and there is always someone who can advise.

• Posted

Felt like a normal person after a couple of days on 20 mgs of Prednisone.

I had been in acute pain for about 4 months.

My symptoms before diagnosis were: pain in groin and upper thighs, pain in shoulders, pain in neck. Stifness in those same places. Could not move head side to side, Could not raise arms, could not get up, sit down. Could not open doors, use a knife, could barely raise spoon to mouth when eating. Acute, horrible, relentless pain. Inability to sleep due to pain. 

My symptoms started in August. Seems that PMR is hard to diagnose.

I went to many doctors before I was finally diagnosed. My internist saw me several times and did blood work for Lyme disease, RA and other autoimmune disrders. The orthopedist saw me for a Bakers Cyst behind my knee and could not tell me what the other symptoms were. The first rheumatologist misdiagnosed me, saying I had Fibromyalgia. He repeated the blood tests. Another orthopedist, a knee expert gave me a steroid injection into the knee to help with the Baker's Cyst and suggested the rheumatologist was wrong. I will say that the steroid shot worked on the knee and miraculously my other symptoms disappeared for a day!! Then they came back with a vengeance. I then started looking for a different rheumatologist, as I knew I did not have Fibromylagia. I finally got an appointment with her in December. She told me that if the Prednisone did not work within a week, I was to come back as it could be something else that was causing the problem. It wasn't.

Started Prednisone on December 6 and was able to cook and host Christmas dinner for my family of 15 and then brunch the next day. I was able to RUN up and down stairs!! In fact, I thought I could move mountains!

Still feel good 20 months later at 5.5 mg alternating with 5. Just a bit tired.

Agree that you need to get back to the Dr right away if it does not improve within a week.

• Posted

I just went to the gp yesterday, he will be testing for disabetes and lupus!!  However, I started on 10MG of steroids last night and immediately felt better!!  I was able to turn over in bed, no pain when I got out of bed and my neck is4  not aching.  Still have some soreness in upper body but not show stopping.  I think we are on to something, significant improvement and even my anke which had been sore is no longer sore!!  Hang in there, he started me on a Methulprednisolone pack, 1st day 6 -4 gm 2nd day 5-4 mg  which is pretty high, however systoms disappeared!!, 
  • Posted

Hi Mags, As a fairly new member of the "PMR Club" I understand that you feel everthing has happened so quickly. I suggest that you take a moment to step back & take stock of all that has happened to you, take a " Chil Pill" & then hook on to all good help & advice offered by members of this forum. I take a lot of comfort from being a member of this forum & given time I hope it will work for you in the same way.

ATB & best wishes

Richard 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for everyone's comments.  I am still not feeling much difference from the steroids (apart from indigestion) but have my GP again Monday so I'll see what her thoughts are then. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.